Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Damascus Barrels & Steel (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Steel or blued damascus ? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27743)

Milton C Starr 07-15-2019 10:17 PM

Steel or blued damascus ?

Can anyone tell me if serial #107505 was made with damascus or steel barrels ?
From what I can tell the serial number places it around 1902 .
Its a 10 ga PH and all the similar ones ive seen to it with steel barrels are from the 1920s .
Just wondering if its a damascus gun that has had the barrels blued or if they are in fact steel .

Steve Huffman 07-15-2019 11:10 PM

Whats the rib say ? Sorry not in the book

Milton C Starr 07-15-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huffman (Post 277529)
Whats the rib say ? Sorry not in the book

http://puglisiguns.cloudapp.net/inventory/13354
No picture of the top of the ribs , Just one of the 10 gauges ive been looking at . Was wondering if steel barrels were offered in 1902 , all the similar 10 gauges are alot later serial #s and twice the price of this one .

Steve Huffman 07-16-2019 12:00 AM

Give them a call Maybe its been sleeved .

Dean Romig 07-16-2019 12:16 AM

A PH of that vintage should have had Twist barrels.

Milton C Starr 07-16-2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 277535)
A PH of that vintage should have had Twist barrels.

Thats what Im thinking at least all the ones ive seen from that time of production . Ill ask tomorrow to see if they know what the barrels are .
Could be a set of barrels from a later ph someone fitted ? Or blued damascus ,
which im okay because that can be fixed overall the gun looks solid and about half the price of other 10 gauge phs ive looked at .If the bores are good is whats important to me .

Drew Hause 07-16-2019 01:54 PM

Parker Special Steel barrels appeared on the Grade 2 GH in 1908, and the Grade 1 PH & NH in 1917. Dave Suponski had a Parker Steel chunk composition analyzed and it was Decarbonized Steel.
The barrel blue appears waaaay too blue to match the action. If you purchase the gun, you could dab a bit of white vinegar on a soft cloth and rub the barrel underneath the FE (where it won't show) and the Twist pattern should be apparent.
Please let us know what you find out Milton.

Milton C Starr 07-16-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Hause (Post 277561)
Parker Special Steel barrels appeared on the Grade 2 GH in 1908, and the Grade 1 PH & NH in 1917. Dave Suponski had a Parker Steel chunk composition analyzed and it was Decarbonized Steel.
The barrel blue appears waaaay too blue to match the action. If you purchase the gun, you could dab a bit of white vinegar on a soft cloth and rub the barrel underneath the FE (where it won't show) and the Twist pattern should be apparent.
Please let us know what you find out Milton.

Yes I thought the bluing was too striking especially for a gun of that age .
I mean overall the guns looks decent and would probably look be nice if the barrels were properly refinished . Im looking at that one and another parkers they have which are my top two picks . They have a nice 8 gauge but I had a forum member looked up the serial # and it appears someone lopped 4" off the barrels :eek: .

I thought of when I get a PGCA membership just seeing what I could find through the for sale section there . Im probably months away from making a purchase but just trying to get a ideal of whats on the market .

Brian Dudley 07-16-2019 07:45 PM

You could just ask them for additional photos...

But, I will tell you that in my opinion they are aftermarket replacement barrels.

Dean Romig 07-16-2019 07:52 PM

The matting is not original Parker matting... and the markings on the doll’s head are not Parker.