Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Damascus Barrels & Steel (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   My First Damascus Refinishing Project (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=929)

Ed Blake 11-29-2009 06:38 PM

My First Damascus Refinishing Project

2 Attachment(s)
These barrels are from a 1879 D2 that I recently refinished. It was my first crack at doing this and they turned out better than I thought. As you can see from one picture there is a slight inclusion in the damascus that was interesting. My only mistake on these was I did not card well enough in the space between the barrels and the ribs. That finish gets in there and it builds up a real hard consistancy that the acid wash does not etch. I'll do better next time. I did not use logwood, but I can see how this would benefit the process. The finish was gone and the barrels were practically in the white.

Ed Blake 11-29-2009 06:44 PM

The Rest of the Gun

2 Attachment(s)
I posted pictures of this on the old board, but I'll put a couple more out there since the barrels have been redone. It has an interesting enhancement to the hook. It is a #2 frame 30".

Ed Blake 11-29-2009 06:47 PM

Picture of Hook

2 Attachment(s)
At somne point this gun had an adjustment made to the hook. I can't imagine that the action was loose because the rest of it is in rather high condition. I'd love to know who the machinest was who did this.

Dave Miles 11-30-2009 08:56 AM

Nice gun Ed.

Dean Romig 11-30-2009 10:39 AM

Ed, you got some very good contrast in those barrels. Good job.

Eric Eis 11-30-2009 03:07 PM

For your first time I would say you really should be pleased. Very nice

Dave Suponski 11-30-2009 03:30 PM

Ed,For your first attempt I think you did an outstanding job.Believe it or not I had a hammergun that had that exact repair to the hook! I sold that gun long ago and I didn,t record the serial number..:banghead: Who ever the smith was must have done that repair more than once...:)

Ed Blake 11-30-2009 04:35 PM

Dave S. - Interesting. What part of the country did your gun come out of? Mine was in the same Connecticut family since new, but I've always wondered if by chance the repair was done in Meridan at the factory. My letter mentions nothing about it.

Dave Suponski 11-30-2009 04:44 PM

Ed,I am sorry to say that I remember the repair on the gun but not the gun itself.I was a rather plain gun if I remember right.This was several years back when I was on a hammergun collecting kick.I have disposed of most of them since then.Sorry I couldn,t be of more assistance..

Bill Murphy 11-30-2009 06:37 PM

Your barrels are very nice. I would not strike the barrels again to remove the dark areas in the rib junction. The tubes look too good to risk changing the great contrast. Congratulations on your success.