Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Protecting Case Colors (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40477)

Garry L Gordon 11-16-2023 01:18 PM

Protecting Case Colors

I know this has been discussed before, but I wondered if there might be some new "developments" in what best protects case colors.

I have a Parker VH that has extraordinary original case colors. I'd like to shoot it (some, not a great deal). I was advised that diminishing the case colors would really hurt the value of the gun (since the gun will likely be part of my estate when I kick the bucket, I'm not sure how much I care about "value"). However, I consider myself a caretaker of the gun, so I do care about its future. It's a fine example.

Is there a good product that does not alter the color, protects well...and is removable if desired at some later time?

Brian Dudley 11-16-2023 03:23 PM

Realistically if you keep it oiled and shoot it from time to time it will have no ill effect on it.

If you want to coat it with something, you can use fluid film, shellac, or some stock finishes like tru-oil, etc…. Some spray lacquer on their guns. And some manufacturers, like LC smith, did that when their guns were new.

I personally do not like coating them with anything as it always seems to effect the look of the colors. Either too shiny, or too dull. Or textured looking. And remember that anything that goes on will eventually have to be removed by someone.

Garry L Gordon 11-16-2023 03:33 PM

Thanks, Brian. I trust your judgement.

Bill Murphy 11-16-2023 03:43 PM

Behren's spray lacquer, does that ring a bell? I never used it because there was more than one similar product with the Behren's name and I didn't know the proper one. I think Oscar Gaddy used it. I don't know how to get it off.

Daryl Corona 11-16-2023 03:58 PM

When I had a couple of damascus barrels redone by a local guy he suggested Tru-Oil to protect the finish. Seems to be doing the job.

Bill Murphy 11-16-2023 04:32 PM

Daryl, your local guy would be local for me too. PM me information if you choose to. Thanks.

Daryl Corona 11-16-2023 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 398819)
Daryl, your local guy would be local for me too. PM me information if you choose to. Thanks.

Sorry Bill, this person does this as a hobby, not as a business. It's a shame because his work is outstanding.

Arthur Shaffer 11-16-2023 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 398806)
Behren's spray lacquer, does that ring a bell? I never used it because there was more than one similar product with the Behren's name and I didn't know the proper one. I think Oscar Gaddy used it. I don't know how to get it off.

They make probably the best canned spray lacquer made for musical instruments. I know that with instruments, the major issue is clarity to show the wood grain. Some lacquers blush more than others from humidity, but the good ones clear quickly and turn truly transparent. The best way is to set them in strong sunlight for 1/2 - 1 hour and they will be completely transparent. I would test any lacquer on a section of something cheap to see how the finish comes out. No real harm. You can always strip it off easily.

Garry L Gordon 11-17-2023 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Shaffer (Post 398842)
They make probably the best canned spray lacquer made for musical instruments. I know that with instruments, the major issue is clarity to show the wood grain. Some lacquers blush more than others from humidity, but the good ones clear quickly and turn truly transparent. The best way is to set them in strong sunlight for 1/2 - 1 hour and they will be completely transparent. I would test any lacquer on a section of something cheap to see how the finish comes out. No real harm. You can always strip it off easily.

Thanks, Arthur. So what would you use to remove the lacquer that would not harm the case colors?

Arthur Shaffer 11-17-2023 07:54 AM

Lacquer thinner should do it quickly. There is no solvent component to case color that should be harmed. Case color is a molecular part of the metal. Try anything on a hidden area first.