Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Jug Choking? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4474)

Theodore LeDurt 06-05-2011 03:37 PM

Jug Choking?

Does anyone have a good recommendation of a smith who jug chokes? This is probably a dying art, but should be cheaper than reaming, and I've heard that guns with this type of choking patterns well. This for an 8 gauge, if that makes a difference.

Frank Cronin 06-05-2011 04:10 PM

The person to contact is Mike Orlen. PM me your email address and I can send you his price list for type of work.

79 Salem Street
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 256-1630

Gary Carmichael Sr 06-05-2011 06:04 PM

OK Guys I got to know what is jug choking?

Jack Cronkhite 06-05-2011 08:39 PM

Click Here for a reference on choking smooth bore guns. Short dissertation on jug choking excerpted:

Another interesting thing about chokes is that the difference between the restriction at the muzzle and the section immediately behind it is what determines the choke performance and not the overall barrel diameter.

A method of choking called ‘jug choking’ has long been used to improve shotgun performance - by enlarging the bore for a short length just behind the muzzle. The shot column expands into this area and is then constricted again at the muzzle. Thus, a fixed choke shotgun with fairly open chokes could be converted to a tighter choked option by jug choking. This would not interfere with the original muzzle configuration.

Jug choking is becoming increasingly popular on competition shotguns. While one reason given is improved patterning, the main claimed advantage is reduced felt recoil as the shot column does not ‘hit an obstruction’ in the form of a narrower bore on the way out of the barrel.

Cheers,
Jack

Theodore LeDurt 06-06-2011 01:03 PM

I contacted Mr. Orien, but he did not have the tools necessary to choke an 8 gauge.

Would it be considered "heresy" to have Briley put inserts in a 130 year old shotgun?

Eric Eis 06-06-2011 03:35 PM

In one word....Yes...:nono:

Mark Ouellette 06-06-2011 07:58 PM

Theodore,

I have one SxS which is jug choked and patterns very well. Years ago Soviet skeet shooters were winning many international competitions with their jug choked guns.

So, yes jug choking is a great option for classic SxS. If you would have considered Briley for inserts why not ask them to jug choke your gun?

Mark

Theodore LeDurt 06-07-2011 09:56 PM

Mark, I have to admit, the idea of having Briley do my jug choking never crossed my mind, however they do not jug choke and I got the impression from the tech I talked to, that he was unfamiliar with the term.

They do however back bore 8 gauges.

Mark Ouellette 06-08-2011 06:52 AM

Theodore,

If you are brave you could jug the barrels yourself with an expandable reamer. A brake hone would also work but with that you'd better know what you are doing! :)

Since most gunsmiths would not have a reamer larger than the .830" 8 gauge bore you might offer to provide the reamer to a qualified gunsmith.

Mark

Jim Beilke 06-09-2011 08:11 AM

jug choke

Theodore, I had a 10ga muzzleloading barrel jug choked by a gentleman in Iowa. I am very pleased as I have killed turkeys past 40 yards with this gun. His name is Lowell Tennyson, 209 E. Lotte St. Blue Grass, Iowa 52726 5633813711. Good luck Jim