Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   common things to look out for when buying a sbt (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20737)

Dean Romig 02-02-2017 04:40 PM

That should rarely be a problem if cleaned and lubricated properly and often enough.

Jeff Christie 02-02-2017 08:00 PM

I always try to smear a minute amount of grease (RIG, vasoline, etc) on the hook when ever I assemble it. Push a patch with any good solvent through the barrel, wipe it off after shooting, she will never let you down. I don't have access to a gunsmith without having to trust the UPS or the Postal Service to ship to a gunsmith I'd trust to disassemble it for cleaning.

James L. Martin 02-03-2017 01:35 PM

If you never shot trap with a SBT you will be surprised how good they shoot and move, I have a Ithaca 4E that I shoot trap with but am always on the look out for a Parker. My 4E was made in 1924 and all I did when I bought it was replace the recoil pad and a good cleaning.

Randy Davis 02-03-2017 05:02 PM

Buying a SBT

You might want to find a copy of Frank Conley`s book on American Single Barrel Trapguns. I have collected American SBT`s for the last 20 years or so. As a collector I would look for condition and originality.

There are many different single barrels from which to choose. If you are thinking vintage, a nice Ithaca 4e or 5e Knick guns are great values today. Parker C grade very nice SBT, a little harder to find.

There are alot of the vintage guns that have been well maintained. Most have had the recoil pads changed. Most will have 32" barrels. Might be a good idea to mic the bore and choke, Of the ones that I have
checked have not been altered... Hope this is of some value.

Trap3

Jim McKee 02-03-2017 07:01 PM

I agree-find a copy of Frank Conley`s book on American Single Barrel Trapguns.
Excellent collection of information concern all the period SBTs.
Jim

bob kuczynski 02-07-2017 05:39 AM

what were the most common pads used on those sbt's from the period? I know some co's sell retro pads. if I had to replace a rotted one, which would you use?

Dave Suponski 02-07-2017 06:10 AM

Bob, Hawkins pads were listed as standard from the factory.

Bill Murphy 02-07-2017 09:23 AM

Ithaca Knicks were normally fitted with the Ithaca "Sunburst" pad. Parkers were commonly fitted with a Silver pad or a Hawkins pad. The Hawkins with the straight vents was not normally used. A repro Silver, as sold by Griffin and Howe, is the pad I have used for a long time on large butt guns.

Randy Davis 02-07-2017 05:14 PM

Pad on SBT`s

4 Attachment(s)
Original Hawkins on Parker SC, pic #1

Original Silvers(100+years old hard as a rock) 1st variation Baker SBT, pic#2

Original Hawkins on Baker Elite SBT, pic#3

Original Ithaca Sunburst Pad, pic#4

Trap3

Randy Davis 02-08-2017 09:09 PM

SBT`s Recoil Pads

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bob kuczynski (Post 211265)
what were the most common pads used on those sbt's from the period?

Here are a couple more recoil pads used on vintage SBT`s...
These are original Jostams Mfg. HY-GUN and ANTI-FLINCH...

Trap3