Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   common things to look out for when buying a sbt (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20737)

bob kuczynski 02-02-2017 09:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
jeff, I was with the shooting teams 92-97. east coast.
legged out on pistol before I retired.

Mills Morrison 02-02-2017 09:55 AM

This is more applicable to Parkers in general, but I look for soundness of the stock, barrels original length and not cut and no mechanical problems.

bob kuczynski 02-02-2017 10:34 AM

what are some common issues on a sbt?

Fred Lauer 02-02-2017 10:38 AM

I bought mine at an indoor auction with the normal crappy lighting, but I did note that it had been converted from straight grip to full pistol grip. Some might have passed on it but the work was so well done that it's not only hard to see the wood splice but the checkering is flawless though different than factory. The giveaway was no ser. no. on the trigger guard and an unmarked grip cap. It also had the ejector blocked which I view as a plus for a reloader. The really important things to me was that the barrel and choke be unmodified and the gun fit me. The fore end wood seems to have a tendency to crack on them, I've seen it on guns other than mine. Thankfully mine has a good solid repair that is also hard to see, that I suspect was done by the same hand as the grip change. I've only put 4000 or so rounds through mine but no hiccups yet.

Phil Yearout 02-02-2017 11:20 AM

I bought mine for short money with a cut barrel because I'd never have had one otherwise. Not a good reason for a serious trap shooter or a collector (this gun is not one for either, and I am neither) but it will break targets when I do my part and I have had a lot of fun with it. Someday maybe I'll stumble upon a replacement barrel, but if not, that's OK. We have a deal: I don't point out her shortcomings, and she doesn't mention mine. There's a couple of pics in my "Just Stuff" album.

bob kuczynski 02-02-2017 12:08 PM

how do most bores look these days on them? is pitting common?

WmRike 02-02-2017 12:26 PM

That's an interesting question about the pitting. Based on the trap guns of that era that I have and have seen, I'm gong to say no. My conjecture is that people that bought these guns shot better (smokeless) ammo and had enough pride to maintain the things.

I would venture to say that the biggest problems arise from the amateur gunsmiths that wanted to disassemble the thing just to see what it looked like inside (what were those screws there for, anyway?), or who thought they could improve a sear somewhere.

Fred Lauer 02-02-2017 01:28 PM

The bore is very clean in mine but it has some discolor in the chamber. I've noticed that in other trap guns of the 1920-30 era and I'd just attribute it to the volume of paper cases run through it over the years. No primer pitting at all in the bore.

Bill Murphy 02-02-2017 01:59 PM

I bought my first one in 1973 and have been buying them since. I have never bought a bad one and I don't own a bad one.

bob kuczynski 02-02-2017 02:38 PM

a big concern of mine is that on average, a sb trap gun will be opened more often than a sbs or an o&u. im most concerned about side play or loose lock up with truniun wear.(sp)