Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I Need To Stop Making Boxes, Or, Buy More Guns. (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16703)

edgarspencer 06-25-2015 08:29 PM

I Need To Stop Making Boxes, Or, Buy More Guns.

6 Attachment(s)
Ok, So now I've made a couple more, in American Walnut. Interpreting some previous comments, I switched from Finger (box joints) joints to true dovetails.
This box, made for a 30", 1 Frame Grade 3 Lifter action 12 gauge, was edged and partitioned similar to the British Oak & Leather boxes, but I think I still prefer American, cloth covered edging.
I like this new Wool cloth, and bought enough to do 3-4 boxes.
What is special to me is the stop hinges, or as they call them over there, Stand Up hinges. Wendy Dyson (see Peterdyson.co.uk) hand makes these from waxes, to the foundry for casting, and then hand finishes them. They are fairly pricey, but not as much as US made stop hinges ($57/pair). Wendy is 78 years young, and I think it's nice to have a bit of old world craft in my box. I fear it won't be long when she won't be making them.
I am still in a quandary over a suitable hasp. I've found one, but at $45ea, have held off. Handles are another issue. I have several leather, brass, and luggage style, but am not in love with any of them.
I have one Walnut box, unlined, but finished with hinges, without the lockset mortised in, I will sell, unless a good hammer gun knocks on the door soon.

Daryl Corona 06-25-2015 08:33 PM

Damn Eggar that's REALLY nice.:bowdown:

Bob Kimble 06-25-2015 08:47 PM

Edgar, the dovetails make a great looking gun case look even better!

Dave Tatman 06-25-2015 10:06 PM

Beautiful work, Edgar. PM sent.

Dave

greg conomos 06-25-2015 10:20 PM

Really nice. Luckily I am not afflicted with any of the ephemera that surrounds guns (boxes, paper, shells, etc.) so I can enjoy looking at it without any real desire to own it!

Eric Eis 06-26-2015 12:30 AM

Beautiful case, if you can't find a need for that extra case let me know, I am sure I can find a Parker to fit it..... Edgar that's "Class" again beautiful workmanship.

Gary Carmichael Sr 06-26-2015 08:45 AM

Edgar, If you ever want to sell a case or two let me know, I have some high grade guns that would display well in those beautiful cases, again really great craftsmanship, you are indeed gifted, Gary

John Truitt 06-26-2015 09:03 AM

Awesome work.
They are wonderful cases.
Thanks for sharing.

Mills Morrison 06-26-2015 09:57 AM

That is a great case! I like the design and the space for shell boxes.

Dean Romig 06-26-2015 10:23 AM

Edgar, have you looked closely at the old case that George has? Specifically the floor section for the barrels where there are actually cutouts for the lugs? Just thought I'd mention it because it's the only one I've seen with this feature.

I like your cases a lot and am just trying to decide which of my exposed hammer Parkers need such a nice case.