Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Engravers signature (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27794)

Josh Loewensteiner 07-23-2019 04:14 PM

Engravers signature

1 Attachment(s)
Found this one on an early C Grade Lefever. Pretty cool!

Brian Dudley 07-23-2019 05:19 PM

hmmmmm.... a Spangler signature on a gun with the supposed Loy border work.

Something to rethink.

chris dawe 07-23-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 277883)
hmmmmm.... a Spangler signature on a gun with the supposed Loy border work.

Something to rethink.

Thought the same thing ...

Dean Romig 07-23-2019 06:51 PM

Looks so much like Loy’s dog’s eyes and muzzle too.

charlie cleveland 07-25-2019 12:06 AM

fine looking gun to me...charlie

Mark Ray 07-26-2019 12:04 PM

The similarity to Loy's work is astonishing....but I have to admit when I VERY FIRST looked at the photo of the gun, Loy didn't instantly jump to mind, but when I started looking at the components it did...the eyelash borders are just a TINY bit different, the dog depicted not in parallel with the frame seems not Loyish, I definitely can see the eerie similarities.. I wonder if it is a deliberate homage to Loy from one engraver to another....is it possible Spangler was an apprentice to Loy at some point?

Nick de Guerre 07-27-2019 09:10 PM

I have two points.

1. This is the first Spangler signature I have ever seen on a Lefever that is outside the main "portrait window." That includes one other C grade. But that said, it does look like his signature.

2. Loy has got to be the most over-attributed of all American engravers. Either because of the spurious "hidden initials in the border engraving" association, or because people haven't seen enough of his signed (i.e. confirmed) work. The snouts on his pointers are UNMISTAKEABLE. No other engraver that I have seen did broad and upturned pointer snouts like he did.

My 2 cents...having no reason to suspect otherwise...it's Spangler's work. I generally judge his by his fluffy, soft light setters.

NDG

Nick de Guerre 07-27-2019 09:14 PM

One more point on Loy...and this probably applies to any engraver, especially any who worked for as many years as he did. While his work on Lefever's and Ithaca is great, they pale in comparison to what he did on Remington DE and EE's. He simply got better as the years progressed, and the best 1894's are the proof of it.

NDG

Dean Romig 07-27-2019 10:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Like this...

Nick de Guerre 07-28-2019 12:15 AM

Yes to the top picture.
No to the 2nd...it is Glahn's work, based both on style, and production timeframe.

NDG