Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   cold blue (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26306)

Daniel Carter 01-21-2019 05:23 PM

cold blue

Does any one have experience removing cold bluing from damascus barrels? The reason i ask is i have an eh that some one tried to hide the damascus pattern by cold bluing it and i would like to remove it without damaging the original finish(if any) under it. Have read of using white vinegar but would rather go with a known method. Thank you.

Brian Dudley 01-21-2019 08:22 PM

Anything that will remove the bluing will also remove any original finish.
If there ever was any.

Besides, in order to properly apply cold blue, the surface must be polished, which means removal of the original finish.

Daniel Carter 01-21-2019 08:36 PM

Thank you Brian, the small amount light pitting and freckling leads me to think no polishing was done and the uneven appearance of the blue that the de-oiling before hand was poorly done. The pattern shows through very well in some places.

Eric Eis 01-21-2019 09:15 PM

Try using a small amount in a concealed area like under the forend to get an idea of whats under the blue.

Jay Oliver 01-22-2019 11:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Dan, I'll share my experience, but I would recommend you try on a small area first as others have recommended. I had bought a 10 gauge TA hammer gun about a year ago and the barrels looked cold blued to me and also had some corrosion on top of that finish as well.

I used a combination of the the products below. I would use the biodegrade cleaner that I assumed was citrus based and then Hoppes #9 and alternated using a frontier pad. I wish I took more before and after pics though I included what I had so you can see. I was happy with the results and put some carnauba wax on the barrels when I was done.

Given what they looked like when I bought the gun I felt this was an improvement. Others may have better suggestions or cautions, but I thought I would share.

As a side note, this was the gun I used to go tundra swan hunting in NC a week and half ago.

Joe Dreisch 01-22-2019 12:06 PM

If vinegar is used to remove blue or superficial rust do you have to neutralize the surface afterward with baking soda or something in order to stop the acid action?

Daniel Carter 01-22-2019 12:10 PM

Thank you Jay i will try that, the frontier pad never came to mind. The pattern is showing well in some places so it should not take long to see a result.Have to get the solvent and Hoppes first.

Daniel Carter 01-22-2019 02:03 PM

Jay i picked a place where it was thin from wear and your method and elbow grease did the job. Unfortunately as Brian said it had been half - - - - - stripped and removing the cold blue leaves a streaked look. The damascus pattern is pleasing so i will be thinking of sending it to Bachelders (sp.) .

Jay Oliver 01-22-2019 02:20 PM

Dan, At least you tried and now you know what it needs. My gun may have had a different type of cold bluing and there wasn't any prep work done to the barrels before it was applied.

Getting the barrels refinished will look great anyway. I have a few I need to send off myself.