Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   pistol grip cap (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4063)

alan ingram 04-11-2011 10:16 PM

pistol grip cap

Gents,
I came across a 1911 Parker,only had a few minutes to look at it, as I was pressed for time.
I am wondering if anyone has pictures of grip caps, this one was not your usual piece of hard plastic.
Thanks
Alan Ingram

Dean Romig 04-11-2011 11:14 PM

Alan, there are some really good photos of Parker grip caps of all varieties shown in The Parker Story.

alan ingram 04-12-2011 08:33 AM

Thank you for your reply,is The Parker Story a book or is it posted on this site?

Dean Romig 04-12-2011 08:58 AM

The Parker Story is the "Tome" of Parker knowledge and is a two-volume set.

To my knowledge there were only three common Parker caps for the 'capped pistol grip'. The earliest is attractive but plain with a checkered oval in the middle of it; the next has Parker Bros. Meriden Ct.; the last cap used in the Remington era has Parker Ilion NY.

alan ingram 04-12-2011 09:00 AM

Thank you, looks like I have a little book buying to do

Bruce Day 04-12-2011 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
TPS is basic homework for anyone having an interest in Parkers and for those who want to know correctness in Parkers.

A 1911 Parker in grades V through C will have this standard grip cap, assuming that the gun is configured as a capped pistol grip stock. There are a few instances where a later gun, such as a 1911, will have the earlier checkered grip cap. Sometimes custom grip caps of ivory, horn, silver, etc, will be seen; these are non factory. Some of these can best be described as folk art while others look to be well done by jewelers. There are rare factory presentation grip caps with engraving.

I am not an expert on Parkers, but this is what I've picked up by reading the book and being around a few Parkers. I'm sure others can fill you in on the complete details.

Dean Romig 04-12-2011 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe the one Bruce shows was introduced around 1887 while the early one, shown below, was used on lower grades well into the 1890's and possibly after the turn of the century.

Grades B (5) and higher with a capped pistol grip had a gold plate inletted into the face of the hard rubber cap while those guns with "pistol grip" or "semi-pistol grip" or "round knob" grip of grades B and higher usually had a contoured round gold cap inletted into the wood.

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

alan ingram 04-12-2011 09:49 AM

Bruce,
Thank you for your reply, that looks like the one! Chilled Shot hats off to you too.
Best Regards
Alan Ingram

Bruce Day 04-12-2011 10:33 AM

Alan, what you said was not the usual piece of hard plastic is the usual piece of hard plastic for most Parkers.

TPs may be helpful.

alan ingram 04-12-2011 12:17 PM

Bruce,
I think I understand what you're saying?