Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Thru bolt in wrist of parker double stock (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21939)

Thomas Baker 07-28-2017 10:03 AM

Thru bolt in wrist of parker double stock

What is the purpose of the thru bolt in some parker doubles stock just under the tang? Most have fancy inletted diamond/star shaped washers on each side. Is this a repair to hold the wrist together. There don't appear to be any visible cracks. I'm looking to buy a decent Parker. Should I avoid these or is this a normal part of a particular model and years?

Rick Losey 07-28-2017 10:13 AM

the stock has split

the bolt holds it together but does not fix the problem

not "normal" but not uncommon -

many of these repairs will hold for a long time- some can be properly repaired, some cannot

but unless you are looking for a stocking project -

you would be better off finding one with out this type of issue

Thomas Baker 07-28-2017 11:57 AM

Thru bolt

Thanks for the reply. I suspected that's what it was but didn't want to miss a good deal if it was not the case. Thanks again for the quick reply.
Tom

Dean Romig 07-28-2017 01:59 PM

We know of at least one Parker (10 gauge if I remember correctly) where the original buyer had requested a pinned stock head. Apparently he anticipated the possibility of a split stock head because of the volume of shooting and type of loads he intended it for.

But the vast majority of pinned stocks were done as a repair of damage already done.

Thomas Baker 07-28-2017 03:47 PM

Thanks for your response. That seems to be the consensus.
Tom

Brian Dudley 07-28-2017 05:59 PM

I have seen a few guns where the pin was done as a preventative measure but most are to repair a split head. Improperly repaired i should say. There are much better and invisible ways of getting the job done. But once a stock has been pinned, the damage is done.

Thomas Baker 07-28-2017 08:39 PM

Thanks Brian. Your response pretty much reflects the other responses I have gotten. No sense looking for trouble. I will avoid guns with pinned heads. Thanks again.
Tom

wayne goerres 07-28-2017 09:57 PM

If your are looking for a collector than by all means avoid the pinned stocks. If you are looking for a shooter than deduct a little from the price and it may become a good buy. There are people who can make that repair disappear but some of those repairs are rather charming and part of the history of the peace . Any competent gun smith should be able to check out the repair and make sure it is secure.

Rick Losey 07-29-2017 09:26 AM

[QUOTE=wayne goerres;222341 There are people who can make that repair disappear
.[/QUOTE]

Yes -if the internal damage is only a clean split - no decay, not busted up

A tale of two guns :whistle: - both heavy Parker 12 bores that were likely waterfowlers from birth

neither had a bolt in the stock when I bought them

the first - I took the stock off to refinish and found it had a split in the head - but it was all solid wood- this stock has been de-oiled, stapled and arca-glassed and the head treated with crazy glue. this gun has digested many rounds since, up to and including Kent TM (it has 2 3/4 chambers)

the other - when I got it, the wood around the tang had a slight gap- I took the stock off - and found the insides oil soaked to the point of decay- this one needs a new stock

either of these could have been pinned and shot by the former owner and shot for a while- the first- may never have failed

I think the second would have eventually failed dramatically

my point in this and my earlier post post is - (except for that 10 Dean mentioned and I would love to see how Parker did it) - I assume a bolt means a restock - if you get it cheap and it holds - consider it luck

wayne goerres 07-29-2017 08:13 PM

My point was (and if you read my post completely) any competent gunsmith can check out the repair and make sure it is secure.