Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Doing the right thing: (Good deed rewarded) (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16869)

George Wilkie 07-17-2015 08:25 PM

Doing the right thing: (Good deed rewarded)

A couple of weeks ago (see "Hi and Help?" in introductions) I came you your forum, asking for help to identify a shotgun. Many of you were very cordial and helpful. Some were distrustful, understandably so, based on the info I gave.
Now, the story has had it's conclusion, and I can be more open and frank.
A man called me and said he heard that I buy guns, and he had one he wanted to sell. I met him, and he had the gun I earlier posted pictures of. It was obvious he had no idea what the gun was, as he told me it was a rifle! He offered it to me at a price that would make most of you gag, it was so ridiculously low. It was obvious he was going to sell it to someone, and it was also pretty obvious the gun was stolen. So, I bought the gun, determined to find the rightful owner. But, first, I approached you guys to find out if it was, indeed a Parker. Thank you Harry Collins and Bill Murphy, for confirming it for me.
A couple of days ago, I contacted someone with access to the LE stolen guns registry, and he confirmed the gun as stolen in a neighboring state. He attempted to contact the former owner, only to learn that the owner was deceased. He contacted the next of kin who was executor of the estate, the son. He told the officers that he had no interest in guns, and since I had purchased the gun, I could just keep it. It is now removed from the National Registry of stolen firearms, and is nice and comfy in my safe.
My sincerest thanks to you here on PGCA forums for your help in this, and to remind all of us that doing the right thing doesn't always turn out bad. My motto usually is that no good deed ever goes unpunished, but in this case, my attempt at a good deed was generously rewarded.
Thank you and Good Day to all!

Mike Franzen 07-17-2015 08:31 PM

Wow! That's quite a story

Mills Morrison 07-17-2015 08:34 PM

That is great

Dave Tatman 07-17-2015 08:56 PM

Very nice. A reminder that it is always right to do the right thing.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Phillip Carr 07-17-2015 09:05 PM

Thank you from a guy that recently had a LC Smith custom sleeved 28 gauge stolen from my garage. I can only hope that someone such as yourself helps me to locate my gun some day.

Jim DiSpagno 07-17-2015 09:38 PM

Phil, your generosity and Christian faith all but assured it.

allan.mclane 07-17-2015 09:44 PM

Good outcome and thanks for closing the loop for us. Now that you've collected a Parker maybe it's time to join up and get a letter for that gun :)

Bill Murphy 07-17-2015 10:12 PM

The person who had legal ownership of that gun and released it to you is the same kind of person who has helped many of us expand our collections at reasonable prices. Your story reminds me of a shooting friend and college cohort who pressed his father's AHE Double Trap into my hands and would not accept more than $2200 for it because he "thought I should have it".

Jerry Harlow 07-17-2015 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Carr (Post 172796)
Thank you from a guy that recently had a LC Smith custom sleeved 28 gauge stolen from my garage. I can only hope that someone such as yourself helps me to locate my gun some day.

That gun should stick out like a sore thumb. If it ever comes up on the internet or at a shoot someone will surely have heard of it and know it was stolen. I would post something on every forum you can find. I hope you can find it quickly.

Dean Romig 07-17-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow (Post 172817)
That gun should stick out like a sore thumb. If it ever comes up on the internet or at a shoot someone will surely have heard of it and know it was stolen.

Sorry, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

A good friend's Winchester Golden Quail in .410 was stolen about ten years ago. We thought it would be pretty easy to find because the gun's serial number is 410 but we haven't seen or heard tell about such a gun since the day it went missing.