Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Recoil pad question (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18615)

Virginia Hessler 03-13-2016 06:17 AM

Recoil pad question

Hi
Just finishing up a new stock for my DH. I realise it's no longer original, but what would be the most original pad to install ?
I am thinking Silvers orange with the big plugs or Hawkins with the vents. Not sure wich is more appropriate.
This is a 32 inch gun I don't think it ever had a skeleton but plate on it.
Second question is the original stock has quite a curve on the rear where the pad attetches.
Is this advantages or should I just cut it flat and screw the pad on ?
Thank you for any advice, Tom

Brian Dudley 03-13-2016 08:49 AM

All this talk about pads has me tired out... At least it wont be another 28 days before it comes up again.

You cant go wrong with the silvers. They were available originally from a very early date, so they would be considered correct on pretty much any hammerless gun. Orange would have been more commonly used originally. But many do not like the bright look of a new orange pad and like the look of a newly installed red pad better. The simvers pads are available in both colors.

Dont cut the stock. A simvers pad will install (carefully) to a curved surfsce very nicely in most cases.

If your stock is original, has a curved surface on the butt and has no evidence of SSBP screw holes, it may very well have had a silvers pad originally. Does it have a small spur cut into it?

Virginia Hessler 03-13-2016 11:19 AM

Brian
This is a new stock I just made. The original was curved, this one can be anything I want. Just wondering if there is a reason to curve it or a lot easier leave it flat.
Thanks, Tom

Brian Dudley 03-13-2016 11:23 AM

Easier to do flat. If you ate making it new, i would recommend that.

Dean Romig 03-13-2016 11:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Originally ordered in 1908 with a Silvers pad.

allen newell 03-13-2016 12:21 PM

Time to replace that pad Dean? vintage look for sure though

Phillip Carr 03-13-2016 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=Brian Dudley;190624]All this talk about pads has me tired out... At least it wont be another 28 days before it comes up again.

Lots of new potential members popping in all the time. Also not every member reads every post every day. Im still learning, not everyone is an expert.
Pity our school teachers they get asked thr same questions every year. Even several times a day if they are teaching multiple classes.

Dean Romig 03-13-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen newell (Post 190639)
Time to replace that pad Dean? vintage look for sure though

Nope... It will stay as long as I am its custodian. On my unique Parkers I prefer to keep them original in every way.

Brian Dudley 03-13-2016 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=Phillip Carr;190652]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 190624)
All this talk about pads has me tired out... At least it wont be another 28 days before it comes up again.

Lots of new potential members popping in all the time. Also not every member reads every post every day. Im still learning, not everyone is an expert.
Pity our school teachers they get asked thr same questions every year. Even several times a day if they are teaching multiple classes.

It was my attempt at some humor...

allen newell 03-13-2016 03:50 PM

lol