Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Putting some years back on a Lefever B grade (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23793)

Brian Dudley 03-26-2018 09:50 AM

Putting some years back on a Lefever B grade

14 Attachment(s)
This Early thumb-opening Lefever is a special order gun that is labeled as a B grade, but possesses many attributes that are far above "typical" B quality.

It is a 12g. 2 barrel set that is a Small Hook cocking gun, but it started life as a Cocking rod gun. At some point it was sent back to Lefever and the cocking mechanism was upgraded, and the second barrel set added. Something else odd about that time is that the gun was actually re-serial numbered. To a number that was about 2,000 numbers later than the original number. The outside of the gun bears only one number, but the insides of the gun have both numbers stamped on them. Anyway, just interesting information... The owner of this gun may well write a LACA newsletter article on it, so those who are LACA members, can read his thoughts on the gun.

The gun came to me missing it's horn forend tip completely and the void was filled in with sawdust and glue. The wood finish was nearly gone and the checkering pretty much worn smooth. The original leather faced silvers pad was falling apart. The purpose of my work on it was to repair any glaring issues with it mechanically/cosmetically and to put a few years back on the gun, but maintain a used look that was overall fitting of the condition of the metal.

There was some damage to the edge of the inletting for the horn forend tip that had to be patched before a new horn tip could be custom shaped to fit the existing inletting in the forend. Once fitted and installed, the tip could be shaped and profiled in the proper style.

The wood was all de-oiled and fresh finish was applied but all marks of age and use retained. The checkering was then fully recut on the wrist and forend. 26 lines per inch on the wrists. 26 and 32 lines per inch on the forend.

Ultrasonic cleaning of the action did good for the engraving on the action. The pointer on the one lock plate is fantastic! Before assembly, a broken firing pin had to be replaced and a new set screw for it made. Finally a new silvers pad was installed and a leather face put on it as the original pad had.

Attachment 61575

Attachment 61576

Attachment 61577

Attachment 61578

Attachment 61579

Attachment 61580

Attachment 61581

Attachment 61582

Attachment 61583

A few photos of the forend tip repair.
The right side lower side of the inletting was completely broken out. A wood patch has already been installed.

Attachment 61584

Attachment 61585

Attachment 61586

Attachment 61587

Attachment 61588

Attachment 61579

Bill Murphy 03-26-2018 12:01 PM

I have seen several Lefevers with the horn tip destroyed. I own one that has been repaired, a wonderful E Grade 16 gauge push lever. Some ham fists don't know what the button is for and pry the forend with a metal tool trying to remove it.

Garry L Gordon 03-26-2018 12:05 PM

Wow! What a nice repair job...and a beautiful gun.

Michael Kitterman 03-26-2018 12:52 PM

What a beautiful early Lefever! What is the mfg year of this example? I own four Lefevers ranging from 1897 to 1909, one a DS 12 ga with extra fancy wood and near perfect coloring thought to have belonged to a Lefever family member, but have no history to confirm this. Brian your craftsmanship and attention to the smallest details speaks for itself. Well done!

Brian Dudley 03-26-2018 12:58 PM

This gun is in the 11,000 serial range. And the earlier number mentioned is in the 9,000 range.

Frank Cronin 03-26-2018 02:05 PM

Well done Brian.

I love looking at higher grade Lefevers. They are like snow flakes and most of the time there is a unique feature that make them so interesting and diverse.

I notice the "wings" (lack of a better term) on the barrels. I've seen them with one but this is the first time for me seeing two "wings".

Thanks for sharing.

Brian Dudley 03-26-2018 02:44 PM

Yes, that is the first gun that I and the owner, along with others, has seen with double wings.

edgarspencer 03-26-2018 06:25 PM

Is that a Nichols & Lefever ?

Brian Dudley 03-26-2018 06:52 PM

No. A Lefever Arms gun.

wayne goerres 03-26-2018 08:51 PM

You sure made that old gun shine. Great job Brian.