Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DHE 16 Gauge SST Vent Rib: (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32516)

Bruce P Bruner 02-16-2021 07:18 PM

DHE 16 Gauge SST Vent Rib:

Hello, I've been looking for a decent damascus side by side in 12 gauge to shoot my full brass hulled black powder shells that I had previously used in a near mint Remington 1889 that I let slip away. Anyway while checking out the normal sites that thousands of eyes have already seen I checked out an old but familiar venue, Cabela's. The listing must have been brand new because it wasn't listed on Guns International "New Today". So after a short mental deliberation I made the call. They will disassemble the gun and bubble wrap each piece and ship it to Thornton, Co. That is the closest store to me. I asked them for a sweeter deal and the very friendly Library employee said they had just acquired the piece and he wasn't allowed to make a reduction. Oh well, I'll be in the gun for $2K plus the local tax and the background fee. Fair enough. The DHE is listed in my Parker serialization book with "19" listed as the extra code, ejectors, single selective trigger and vent rib. The book also verified the 30" barrels. The DOM shows it to be the 44th gun made in 1938. The water table is stamped "MERIDEN, CONN.", perhaps one of the last ones made there before the Parker operations were moved to Ilion, NY. The serial number is 241198. The Cabela's link (while it lasts) (gone now) is
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100967205
I just wanted to share my joy with the membership and perhaps receive some feedback on the Parker. I've been a member here in the past but the system required me to start over with a new membership. The gun isn't without distractions but in my opinion it was money well spent. I also have first right of refusal, so if I'm unhappy with the viewing they will refund my purchase. Though I don't foresee that happening.

todd allen 02-16-2021 07:33 PM

BTW, a friend of mine has a Grade 3 Remington 1889 in excellent condition that he might sell.
PM me if you're interested, and I'll get you in touch with him.

Dean Romig 02-16-2021 07:36 PM

Bruce my friend, you absolutely “STOLE” that gun!!!

Bob Jurewicz 02-16-2021 07:38 PM

You just hit the jackpot!!!!
Bob Jurewicz

todd allen 02-16-2021 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 326091)
Bruce my friend, you absolutely “STOLE” that gun!!!

I agree. I think that gun would have been a deal at twice that price.

Brett Hoop 02-16-2021 07:43 PM

Take some snap caps along. If they will allow you, check the ejectors, the right ejector hammer has released. Nice looking Parker. And I would pick up a lottery ticket also.

Dean Romig 02-16-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd allen (Post 326093)
I agree. I think that gun would have been a deal at twice that price.

Even at 3X or more...

Bruce P Bruner 02-16-2021 08:22 PM

Gentlemen I appreciate all the accolades...really. I was hoping to generate some discussion about it. It must be only one of a handful in that configuration. The first question I asked the salesman was "What does the stamping on the rib say? I was wondering what type of Parker steel the barrels were made of. Well, unlike Parker Parkers this late "R" word gun has no arrows or identifying roll stamps on the rib. Oh well. I tried to view the underside of the barrel joint to see if it had a T in a circle, I do see a circle, but no TI3. I enjoy research as much as the hunt.

Mike Franzen 02-16-2021 08:34 PM

That was a buy of a lifetime.

Dean Romig 02-16-2021 08:48 PM

It is a Remington-made gun produced in Ilion and the rarity of the 30” 16 gauge barrels with the vent rib was a special order gun and the barrels and rib were most likely made in Ilion and not from parts that came from Meriden hence, no marking on the rib. However, the empty circle on the flats seems to indicate the unfinished barrels might have come from Meriden. But none of that would have been recorded and is all speculation.