Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Hello from Mississippi (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35148)

Raymond Dunkum 01-03-2022 12:48 AM

Hello from Mississippi

Thanks for the add. the information that is shared on these pages are a wealth of information to Parker owners, collectors and people who appreciate the Parker Shotgun. My Parker collecting began in 1962 at the age of 12 when a AH Grade 16 gauge was left to me in the will of my childhood neighbor . Charles Oscar Petherbridge was the Owner of the house my family rented and with no children nearby I followed Mr. Petherbridge [Pappy] around daily as he maintained the farm he owned in Norfolk County [Chesapeake] Va. My Grandfathers had passed in the 50's and Pappy stepped in. Those days on his farm I will always remember . After his death his Parker sat at the top of my little gun rack, in a special place. Not much info was available, back then until I found Peter Johnson's book on the Parker and realized how special a gift Pappy had left me. Sadly, I went off to the USN in 1968 and our house was broken into and my Parker was stolen. Now lets move forward to 2021 to a Military Collectors show in Tn. and there sets Serial #81205 in very sad shape. It was had for 450 and underneath all the crud and incorrectly browned barrels there sleeps a 30" GH 12gauge. It closes tight on face. Barrels look good inside but an expert will make a future evaluation. A little corrosion near the muzzles. Case coloring is all but gone and the receiver has some light pitting .Wood appears tight but lots of oil. My phone is horrible for pictures but I will get some posted. Gentlemen many of you have Parker expertise far above me. I promise to not bugger up screw heads attack with a torch or use harsh or destructive chemicals and I can disassemble the majority of this weapon without assistance . Still some of the major work I cannot do and will have to seek help. Any suggestions and all advise is welcome . Thanks again for access to this knowledge bank.

Harold Lee Pickens 01-03-2022 07:37 AM

Welcome Raymond. Good luck with the rehabilitation of your new GH. Post some pictures and you will get alot of feedback.

Dean Romig 01-03-2022 08:08 AM

Yes, Welcome!

I’m very sorry about your stolen AH.
Did you ever record its serial number?

Raymond Dunkum 01-03-2022 12:02 PM

Unfortunately, it was not recorded. Break-ins in the 50's and 60's were very rare and I remember us leaving the house and no doors were locked. Not today. I think the Parker Books are keyed off the weapons serial number and not by name. It sure would be interesting if Pappy's name came up in the order book.

Raymond Dunkum 01-03-2022 12:03 PM

Thank you for the welcome and pictures will come in the near future.

Chuck Bishop 01-03-2022 06:05 PM

Too bad you don't have the serial number. According to The Parker Story, there were a total of 24 AH's made with Acme steel barrels of all lengths and 10 made with Damascus steel barrels of all lengths however there may be a few more due to missing order and stock books. Unfortunately our order books can only be searched by serial number, not name. I did check the archived research letters for the name Petherbridge but didn't find any letters with that name on it.

Raymond Dunkum 01-04-2022 12:05 AM

Thanks for the look see on Petherbridge in the Parker letters. Some day I may be able to associate a serial number to his name.