Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1882 T lifter questions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34486)

Williammccauley 10-12-2021 11:13 PM

1882 T lifter questions

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have many questions but, will start with some information and just a few questions.

I have an 1882, low/mid 25k numbered, 12g(maybe 10g but doubt it,) "T" grade, #3 frame, T lifter hammer gun with two sets of barrels(28"- weight 5, 32"- weight 6.) The serials match on the three sections. The barrels are "twist."

1. Is it common to see two sets of barrels on an order?

2. There is a second individual number on the watertable only, in the 15K range.
Could this be an order number for the gun?

3. I am planning on joining the collectors association and requesting a letter on the gun as a serial search indicates that records are available.

How long does it typically take for a response?

4. The gun was in my great grandfathers possession and was passed along
the line to me. Though has not been put to work in at least sixty years.

Will the information received possibly indicate who placed the original order?

It's wonderful to see so many beautiful SxS guns on here being put to good use in the field. I hope to have this gun checked out for safety/durability and clean her up for field use.

Thanks for any information, Bill

Dean Romig 10-13-2021 07:50 AM

A 3-frame Lifter is most likely a 10 gauge.

2 sets of barrels is very unusual on an early gun like yours.

T-latch lifters were discontinued long before your Lifter was produced.

The order number is only stamped on the flat of the right barrel.

Research letters are usually received within a week or less.

The serial number of your gun is on the water table and on the left side of each barrel lug.

Chuck Bishop 10-13-2021 09:20 AM

Dean, I believe William was referring to his gun as a Quality T lifter not a T-latch lifter.

What you get in the letter depends on when the gun was made and if it's not in a missing order or stock book. A gun made in 1882 has a good chance to be in both books. Low grade guns were ordered mostly by hardware stores, sporting goods stores, or dealers, usually not by individuals. If you order a letter online, the letter will usually go out to you the same day or no more than a few days later. Depends on what I'm doing. Mail me a check and it takes longer to get it.

Dean Romig 10-13-2021 09:30 AM

Thanks Chuck - that didn’t occur to me.

Garry L Gordon 10-13-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop (Post 345836)
Dean, I believe William was referring to his gun as a Quality T lifter not a T-latch lifter.

What you get in the letter depends on when the gun was made and if it's not in a missing order or stock book. A gun made in 1882 has a good chance to be in both books. Low grade guns were ordered mostly by hardware stores, sporting goods stores, or dealers, usually not by individuals. If you order a letter online, the letter will usually go out to you the same day or no more than a few days later. Depends on what I'm doing. Mail me a check and it takes longer to get it.

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but my question may be relevant. I thought I saw recently that the option to make a research letter request online and pay via PayPal was no longer an option. (I assumed because of some political stance taken by PayPal.) Did I misinterpret the information? Can we still request letters online and pay via PayPal? Thanks!

Mills Morrison 10-13-2021 11:19 AM

I ordered a research letter with PayPal just the other week with no problem. That is how I always do it.

Randy G Roberts 10-13-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 345843)
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but my question may be relevant. I thought I saw recently that the option to make a research letter request online and pay via PayPal was no longer an option. (I assumed because of some political stance taken by PayPal.) Did I misinterpret the information? Can we still request letters online and pay via PayPal? Thanks!

Garry for members that use the search feature in the research section and search a particular serial number when it indicates that records are available you will then have the option to "PLEASE CLICK HERE". Upon doing so it will open the letter request form which does have the "click here to pay now" option that you referred to. I point this out as if you go to the same research section and just click on the "click here" to down load a pdf version of the letter request form you will not have the option of paying on line using that approach. Search a serial number and pull up the letter request form, you will see what I am referring to. Good luck !