Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   28 gauge (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30911)

CraigThompson 08-15-2020 08:16 PM

28 gauge

I’ve kinda been looking for a decent 28 gauge preferably O/U for my wife . I’d be most satisfied with an older Browning Citori or Winchester 101 but that may not be the best economical option . Anyway after perusing GB and looking at a multitude of new guns that were 28’s something started becoming noticeable ! They were mostly all 3” chamber guns :eek: Now to each his own , but I don’t get it . If I want more shot I can step up a gauge or two .

Shane Jennings 08-15-2020 08:31 PM

I guess it's the "better have it and not need it than need it and not have it" principle.

Milton C Starr 08-15-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 309644)
I’ve kinda been looking for a decent 28 gauge preferably O/U for my wife . I’d be most satisfied with an older Browning Citori or Winchester 101 but that may not be the best economical option . Anyway after perusing GB and looking at a multitude of new guns that were 28’s something started becoming noticeable ! They were mostly all 3” chamber guns :eek: Now to each his own , but I don’t get it . If I want more shot I can step up a gauge or two .

I read there was a company a few years back producing a 16 gauge 3" .
Didnt you know all gauges beside the 410 are obsolete now because of TSS shot lol ? Thats what I heard a turkey hunter say one day at the local FFL .

Does it have to be a o/u ? theres quite a bit of options these days for a decent 28 gauge .

CraigThompson 08-15-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 309659)
I read there was a company a few years back producing a 16 gauge 3" .
Didnt you know all gauges beside the 410 are obsolete now because of TSS shot lol ? Thats what I heard a turkey hunter say one day at the local FFL .

Does it have to be a o/u ? theres quite a bit of options these days for a decent 28 gauge .

I’m pretty particular about what I buy . And my war against Wild Turkey that wasn’t in a bottle ceased twenty years ago .

Milton C Starr 08-15-2020 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 309672)
I’m pretty particular about what I buy . And my war against Wild Turkey that wasn’t in a bottle ceased twenty years ago .

Well I dont think you could go wrong with a Browning or Beretta o/u , 95% of the guns that visited the plantation were one of those two and the occasional eccentric would bring a nice sxs .

charlie cleveland 08-16-2020 10:27 AM

a model 1100 Remington 28 ga is a soft shooting good handling gun....charlie

Jerry Parise 08-16-2020 10:55 AM

You really can't go wrong with a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1. They are very well built and about as economical as you can find in a good O/U. I just bought my grandson one, he loves it, and now my wife wants one as well.

Jay Gardner 08-16-2020 11:38 AM

Are you looking for a 28 ga. on a scaled down frame? Browning makes the Citori on a 20 ga frame. Pretty sure Beretta produces their 28’s on scaled down frames but I’m not sure who else does. How about Guerini?

CraigThompson 08-18-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gardner (Post 309708)
Are you looking for a 28 ga. on a scaled down frame? Browning makes the Citori on a 20 ga frame. Pretty sure Beretta produces their 28’s on scaled down frames but I’m not sure who else does. How about Guerini?

Pretty much an economical 28 gauge that I consider decent quality . I had a Browning 725 32" 28 gauge in my hands at the shop a couple years back . Someone had brought it in for something or other anyway that gun felt really really good . But I doubt a 32" gun is what the doctor ordered for my wife . A 26" older Citori or 101 or Red Label should fill the bill . That little Orvis/Beretta 2 barrel set in the for sale part of this forum would be just about perfect but it's a bit more than I wanna put in a shotgun for her .

Steven Groh 08-18-2020 12:13 AM

Beretta.
Best gun for the money.