Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Parker Brothers 28ga need help!!! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25449)

michaelElkin 10-12-2018 10:41 PM

Parker Brothers 28ga need help!!!

10 Attachment(s)
This came across my plate and am extremely interested in adding to my collection. Problem is I dont know anything about these firearms. Auction date is less than a week away and I am scrambling to learn as much as possible. Only thing I have is the pictures attached and that it's a 28ga. S#176028.
I understand the variables that go into determining value but a rough estimate would help me out tremendously and possibly save me from going crazy come bid time. Thanks in advance, Mike.

Dean Romig 10-13-2018 04:48 AM

The gun is a D grade and has been completely restored in the Del Grego style.
But without documentation we can’t prove who did the resto.
We don’t know if it is on the 0-frame or the 00-frame. We don’t know if it has ejectors. We don’t know if the barrels have been cut. We don’t know it the straight grip is original to the gun.

Those questions need to be answered before anyone can suggest a value.

Brian Dudley 10-13-2018 10:29 AM

I think I see the stop plate at the back of the rib extension. So likely an ejector gun.

I question the originality of the stock. At the very least the stock lines were altered to the “delgrego style”. The frame has been cyanide case colored, again a typical deal for a delgrego refinish.

Other than fthose points, it looks like a good sound DHE 28g. It is worth what you want to pay for it really.

Alfred Greeson 10-13-2018 08:24 PM

I checked the Parker Gun Identification & Serialization book but your serial # is not listed so no information there. There have been many discussions on how much a refinish may devalue a gun. The case colors of this type are certainly not original and if it is restocked, etc. you need to be careful or you can overload in it quickly but if it is affordable and what you want, just be aware that any resale may not be good if it has been substantially altered. I'm no expert but have made some mistakes already and they can be costly so I can speak a little from experience.

Russ Jackson 10-13-2018 08:42 PM

Michael , the Home page lists that there are factory records available for this gun ! Which means a letter is available ! Good Luck ,nice gun !

todd allen 10-14-2018 11:18 AM

A "D" grade 28 gauge should be a safe place to park some money for a few years, providing you don't pay too much. That looks like a nice one.

Dave Noreen 10-14-2018 11:58 AM

A "no safety" 28-gauge.

todd allen 10-14-2018 12:03 PM

Nice catch, Dave. I missed that little detail. I wonder if it was ordered by a skeet shooter?

Dave Noreen 10-14-2018 12:30 PM

176028 dates to 1917, too early for a skeet gun. More likely plantation quail gun.

michaelElkin 10-14-2018 12:51 PM

Thank you all for your help! I am going to try to get some one on one to get better detailed pictures also one member suggested the barrel could be cut. What is the proper length and what are some areas I should get better pictures of to help you guys out with the valuation. Also would be be worth calling Delgrego and trying to get any info? Thanks in advance Mike Semper Fi!