Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Damascus Barrels & Steel (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Buggered Twist PH (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27883)

davidboyles 08-08-2019 05:27 PM

Buggered Twist PH

I maybe buying a nice 0 frame 16 PH with Twist which someone put sling swivels on barrels and in buttstock. Any suggestions on making them go away and not have the gun Go Away for too long. Buck Hamlin perhaps ??

Mills Morrison 08-09-2019 11:52 AM

Seems like someone mentioned a good gunsmith or two in Texas that I had not heard of before but who was good.

Sounds like a good find!

edgarspencer 08-09-2019 12:35 PM

The filled holes in the bottom rib, and the plug put in the stock to fill, the screw hole, are always going to show. Instead of always having to explain it away, why not just leave the swivels there? I have a very beautiful DHE 16ga. with swivels. I was told by the gentleman (original owner) that that's how the gun was ordered. I don't mind them at all.

Rich Anderson 08-09-2019 05:06 PM

I must agree with Edgar leave them there. I also have a DHE with factory swivels so before you do anything make sure of the originality or lack of first.

Bill Murphy 08-09-2019 06:33 PM

I never remove swivels on classic shotguns. I find them useful and not objectionable.

Brian Dudley 08-10-2019 08:41 AM

Bucks barrel finishes resemble more of a rust colored brown. Not a proper black/white. He does not do anything but that. If you are cool with that, then whatever.

As others have stated, it is kind of more of a hassle than it is worth to try and get rid of the swivels. Fixing the barrel means at minimum welding and dressing screw holes. Maybe you will get lucky and the base is just soldered on and it can be easily removed without much metal work being involved. Or the rib may need to be replaced.
And yes, the wood is another story all together.

CraigThompson 08-12-2019 09:33 AM

I’ve got an EH 3 frame that came to me with a homemade swivel stud deal on barrel under rib and a regular swivel stud in the stock I wanted them gone to begin with but after hunting the gun a few times with sling attached I changed my tune !

Bill Murphy 08-12-2019 09:44 AM

My sling equipped guns include a 32" DHE 12 and a Field Grade Magnum ten Ithaca also with 32" barrels. Those heavy guns should have been equipped with sling swivels from the factory for easier carrying to the blinds. The Ithaca swivels probably were factory.

davidboyles 08-12-2019 10:47 AM

Swivels

Craig and Bill I agree my Eh 10 and DH 10 would be nice to have on when turkey hunting however there are some nice loop around barrels and pistol grip slings I have used that work very well. Appreciate your comments. This gun providing I get it would be a great carry quail gun on 0 frame.

Milton C Starr 08-17-2019 10:30 AM

Could always use a gun slip like the English do so the gun doesnt have to be altered .