Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Going to look at a Repro. What to check? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29529)

Eric Snelling 03-02-2020 04:32 PM

Going to look at a Repro. What to check?

I'm goin to look at 12g 26" repro that is well used.
The trigger guard has been re blued and thereris a screw on the bottom of the receiver that is not timed. It's a SST and I'm concerned it may have (or had and fixed) trigger work. How can I evaluate it before buying. Is it possible to not shoot the gun but still check for bad triggers?

Also. What's a price that would be a 'deal' on a well worn receiver gun and a fairly used stock. It's a hunter for sure. Case and snap caps included.
Thanks!

Matt Buckley 03-02-2020 05:01 PM

I would try out the trigger with the snap caps to make sure it functions that way. I'm not sure how else you would check the triggers with out firing the gun. Hopefully if it was worked on it was just cleaned. There have been a few reports of these single triggers doubling over time but it usually just takes a good cleaning by a competent gunsmith who knows Parkers to clean it up and get it working again. We can point you in the right direction as far as good gunsmiths are if the time comes. I would also encourage you to become a Parker member and learn all things Parker. If you become a member there is an awesome buy and sell section on here between members where you can really learn pricing on these wonderful Parkers.

As far as price goes from what you describe, in my humble opinion, I would not go north of $3K and I would probably stay a ways south of that number.

David Gehman 03-02-2020 05:50 PM

As far as price goes from what you describe, in my humble opinion, I would not go north of $3K and I would probably stay a ways south of that number.
What Matt said.
12 gauge, 26” barrels are not quite the rage these days. If you were to bring it back to elegance you could have up to 2k into it. I would be well south of that figure.
If you want a hunter, shooter go for it.

Brian Dudley 03-02-2020 09:02 PM

On a 26” 12g gun that is well worn, $2k or less would be a “deal”. More than that and getting into the $3k or more mark it better be very nice and have a lot of condition and no problems.

Function of the trigger can be checked with snap caps or dry. But if there is any sort of issue that is only caused by recoil, then you would not know. Also check for good wood that is laid out properly in the wrist.

Gary Laudermilch 03-03-2020 10:54 AM

If it is the screw right in front of the trigger guard that appears to be out of time, it may just be loose. Some repros seem to have a propensity for this screw to loosen.

Check the trigger with snap caps as suggested but also make sure the ejectors work. Ejector hammers on repros are prone to breakage and are somewhat expensive to repair.

Paul Ehlers 03-05-2020 10:15 AM

Don't worry about missing or worn off case colors on the receiver. The cyanide colors on repro's are easily rubbed off and any repro that seen much use will have a significant portion of the colors missing.

Brian Dudley 03-05-2020 10:34 AM

They were not even cyanide colors. They are simulated colors via a stain. For cosmetics only.

Eric Snelling 03-09-2020 08:51 PM

Wow, I had NO idea. Thanks for the info posted gents.
So, if they were just a stain, what can I use to put on a new stain?

Don't worry about missing or worn off case colors on the receiver. The cyanide colors on repro's are easily rubbed off and any repro that seen much use will have a significant portion of the colors missing.
They were not even cyanide colors. They are simulated colors via a stain. For cosmetics only