Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Can a Repro stock be steam bent? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39585)

allen newell 07-09-2023 12:33 PM

Can a Repro stock be steam bent?

I need a 3 1/2 inch drop on my shotguns. My Parker Repro 28 ga has only a 3 inch drop. Can these Repro stocks be steam bent? And done without ruining the hard finish that's on them? If the answer to both questions is yes, what gunsmith would be recommended?

Thanks in advance
Allen

Brian Dudley 07-09-2023 01:05 PM

Bending is a waste of money.

And the finish WILL get compromised.

John Allen 07-09-2023 01:36 PM

I have never heard of an unaltered Repro with 3" drop at heel. Most were21/4" to 23/8" Brian is correct. Bending will alter the finish,possibly weaken or crack the stock. and will possibly spring back close to the original drop.

Ryan Brege 07-10-2023 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 391677)
Bending is a waste of money.

And the finish WILL get compromised.

My straight grip 20 Gauge would disagree with that statement.

Brian Dudley 07-10-2023 08:44 AM

Then you were fortunate. It is a major roll of the dice.

George Davis 07-10-2023 09:24 AM

Like Brain said it's a roll of the dice. I've had 5 stocks bent in the last 25 years with mixed results. All were for cast and nothing else. 1 Browning Superposed, 2 Fox Sterlingworths, 1 Parker G Grade and 1 Lefever. 2 bent and remained very close to the desired results, 2 returned to almost their original dimensions and the Lefever stock splintered into multiple pieces.

My suggestion is locate an orphan butt stock which you could modify to your required
dimensions.

allen newell 07-10-2023 04:33 PM

Thanks to all for your inputs. I discussed this with Dan Cullity and Dan's opinion is in line with your's Brian and others who advise against this. While Dan has done this with other guns, he advised against attempting to bend a Repro stock down, Too many issues with the wood on those Repros he said.

Arthur Shaffer 07-11-2023 08:49 AM

I have had very good luck over the years, but I will add that they have all been relatively new (1940 Plus) and plain grade guns. Actually all turned out good. However, old dried wood, fancy grain or drawbolts would all be off limits to me.

Richard Flanders 07-11-2023 09:00 PM

I have a gun set that Allen would drool over! A Browning cased 2-bbl set VH12 in near mint condition, because I think, it has 3.5"DAH. Fits me great, but most wouldn't like it at all. I don't have to bend my neck one bit when I mount it. 26" and 30" bbls, both F/F. It's the nicest condition Parker I've ever owned and has not been shot very much. I don't think I've ever even shot it yet! I'm not thrilled by the F/F chokes in the 26" bbl set. The case colors are something to behold. I traded someone here a 20ga Repro for it.

tom tutwiler 07-21-2023 07:59 AM

I have had a Repro Bent down from 2 1/8" to 2 3/8" and then had the stock refinished. The bend took. The guns stock was perfectly 1/4 sawn and that IMO had a good deal to do the sucess. Above said, I had a Fox and the stock was bent twice and neither bend took. It is indeed a roll of the dice as Brian said. Ya pay your money and you take your chances.