Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Desireability (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5079)

Angel Cruz 09-07-2011 12:43 PM

Desireability

How desireable are the 10 ga hammer guns with the 3 inch chambers? I'm thinking of selling my G grade with 30 inch bbls. I'm asking because there's another post on the forum about The Short Ten and it seems they are pretty popular.
Are the 3 inch just as popular? thanks...

Brian Dudley 09-07-2011 04:39 PM

From what I understand is that the Longer 10's are actually more valuable.
Someone else with more knowledge of the topic might have more to add.

charlie cleveland 09-07-2011 09:00 PM

the 3 1/2 inch chamber guns are rare and will bring a lot bigger premium than shooter grade tens but short chambered tens in the hihg grade guns are also expensive... charlie

Mark Ouellette 09-08-2011 07:42 AM

Angel,

The British have a 3" 10 gauge chambering.

The short ten had two chamber lengths:
1. 2&5/8" for brass shell cases in the very early Parkers.
2. 2&7/8" for paper shell cases in other Parkers.

As Charlie stated, there were relatively few 3&1/2" 10 gauge magnum Parkers. I think that Destry and Bill Murphy own all of them! :)

The value on your short 10 Parker will depend on condition and rarety. If you post some photos I think you will receive a range of potential value in a hurry! Please include a description and the gun's choke constrictions and weight.

Mark

Angel Cruz 09-08-2011 08:44 AM

10 ga

8 Attachment(s)
Mark, thanks for the info. I was not too clear on my questioning but my
10ga has the 3 inch chambers, a LOP of 14-1/4 and DAH 3 inches on a number 3 frame with 30 inch bbls. The bores are moderately pitted in front of the chambers and then it decreases down the bores. The bbls were 5 lbs unstruck so I think the gun is over 9 lbs.

Jeff Bonadurer 09-08-2011 12:05 PM

Hi Angel,

PM sent.

Best regards,

Jeff

Bill Murphy 09-08-2011 12:27 PM

Angel, regardless of the fact that your ten has 3" chambers, it is lumped in with the "short ten" category guns. Destry does own a real factory rebarrelled 3 1/2" ten that I had been looking at for some time before he wisely bit the bullet. My 3 1/2" ten is also a factory rebarrelled gun on a #6 frame but not marked with Remington chamber marks like Destry's. My gun was apparently rebarrelled in Vulcan Steel at Parker Brothers before the purchase by Remington. A friend has a CH Grade 3 1/2" ten that was also rebarrelled at Remington and marked. I looked at the ad for that gun in the Gun List, decided it had too many questions, turned it over to my friend. When it arrived, it turned out to be a 34" Bernard barrelled ten on a three frame with extra 34" Remington barrels, marked 3 1/2". Both sets of barrels are factory rib engraved with the owners' names, two generations of the same family. The gun also still has the original skeleton butt. If I were coming to Louisville, I would bring it. It is the only C Grade mag ten I have heard of and the only 34" mag ten, and one of two Bernard guns with names engraved on the ribs. It's some gun. You win some and you lose some.

Angel Cruz 09-08-2011 12:35 PM

Thank you for that bit of info Murph!!

Bill Murphy 09-08-2011 01:55 PM

Bill Mullins also has a very nice mag ten, apparently made that way at the factory for a well known personality whose name I can't recall.

Jack Kuzepski 09-08-2011 02:54 PM

Angel,

Thanks for posting the question. I have a 3" 10 ga hammer gun also and was wondering how many others had the longer chambers. I had figgured (and now had it confirmed) that it is still a short chambered 10.

Jack Kuzepski