Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Safety Slide Spring (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10031)

Richard Glaze 03-22-2013 05:33 AM

Safety Slide Spring

My 16 gauge Parker Trojan is marooned at a nationally known gunsmith for lack of a safety slide spring. They cannot seem to find this part. Can anyone help with a source for purchasing this part or having it made? I would like to send it to them or retrieve my gun and have my local gunsmith handle it. (It is at this gunsmith because the stock repair company sent it there.) Midway shows a Galavan slide spiring they say can be modified to work but honestly it does not look very similar. Missed a whole bird season with this gun newly passed down from Dad.

allen newell 03-22-2013 06:21 AM

contact lawrence del grego. he should have the spring but may or may not want to sell it out. I'd still call him

John Campbell 03-22-2013 06:54 AM

You may find luck with PGCA member Eris Eis.

Brian Dudley 03-22-2013 12:31 PM

I have a few slide springs. I will send you a PM. They are the older style. Not sure what S/N range your gun is.

scott kittredge 03-22-2013 12:50 PM

HI, let me know if Brians does not work out for you, i have one fron a trojan 12 ga that should work, scott

Richard Glaze 03-22-2013 06:03 PM

You guys are great! The gunsmith made it sound like a big deal. I spoke with Mr. Del Grego and he said he could fix it and quoted a reasonable price. i think it would be easier at this point to get the part and send it to the gunsmith. Thanks for the input.

Not to go back to the well again but could this issue be related to the gun firing both barrels when the rear trigger is pulled first. If not, any ideas?

Brian Dudley 03-22-2013 06:22 PM

I would think not. But hard to say. If the gun had a broken safety spring, then it might have been very rusty inside and dirty. That could be causing the issue with the firing of both barrels.

Richard Glaze 03-23-2013 08:19 AM

Actually the metal parts were very clean. The inside of the stock was worn, and a split had been poorly repaired with a phillips head screw. I have had a new stock made to fit my long frame and hopefully the gunsmith can fix this problem and replace the safety spring. Thanks again.

Brian Dudley 03-23-2013 08:32 AM

I think that on e the new stock is properly fitted, your issue of it doubling might go away.

Kevin McCormack 03-24-2013 11:53 AM

Check (or have checked) the torque on both the top tang screw and the screw coming up and through the tail end of the floorplate extension that shows its end on the top tang just below the top tang screw. Too loose or too tight, they are the frequent causes of misfirings/doubling.