Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gun value (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30609)

David Thompson Norige 07-07-2020 02:20 PM

Gun value

I have a 1920 model VH shotgun .20 gauge side by side . It apperas that the barrel has been shortened by 2" and there is a piece of the stock missing .I am trying to determine what this gun is worth as is and if it would be worth restoring ? Thanks Dave

Joe Dreisch 07-07-2020 03:06 PM

Welcome, David. In order to get any sort of a ballpark value for your gun you should post the serial number, detailed (close-up) photographs of the various parts of the gun (end of barrels, barrel flats markings, action frame-bottom and both sides. Please also include details like current barrel length, stock length of pull, and bore condition. With this information, the experts on this site will be able to give you a pretty good feel for what you have and a relative value.

David Thompson Norige 07-08-2020 09:20 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Thompson Norige (Post 306515)
I have a 1920 model VH shotgun .20 gauge side by side . It apperas that the barrel has been shortened by 2" and there is a piece of the stock missing .I am trying to determine what this gun is worth as is and if it would be worth restoring ? Thanks Dave

Serial # 191625
Barrel length 26"
stock length of pull 14 1/2 "
grade 0
barrel weight 3 3
grade V vulcan steel hammerless
Bores are shiny and in good shape

Randy G Roberts 07-08-2020 09:56 AM

David that serial # is not in the book to verify the barrel length but from the looks of the end of the barrels in that not so great pic it would suggest that more than 2" of the barrels have been cut as evidenced by the gap IMO. If that is the case there is probably minimal choke left. There are other obvious issues. This is not a gun I would fully restore personally, at the end of the day you would have a real pretty gun with cut off barrels and really be upside down in it financially even if the acquisition cost for you was zero.
Personally I think this would be a candidate for a donor gun. Sleeve the barrels into a 28 ga or 410, replace the wood and engrave as you like. Then there's always the grouse hunter out there who could repair the wood and make a hunter out of it. Unfortunately neither of those scenarios is going to net you much pocket change. Just my two cents. Best of luck with it.

Dean Romig 07-08-2020 10:12 AM

Please show us a picture of the top of the barrels at the muzzle end from a distance of 2 feet away. We can enlarge the pictures to get a closer look. You were too close to the muzzles on that other picture.

That big chip out of the stock head can be repaired.

Mills Morrison 07-08-2020 10:39 AM

Rainy day woodcock gun. The "Parker Bros" engraving is quite well done.

Randy is correct that restoration is a money loser. The best approach is to get it functional and somebody can use it as a shooter

Chuck Bishop 07-08-2020 11:09 AM

Here's a freebie, the gun was returned for credit, it says it's a VH 20ga. with 26" barrels. Show us an in focus picture of the rib matting at the end of the barrels. It looks to me like the out of focus picture of the muzzles look like they touch but it's hard to tell.

Randy G Roberts 07-08-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop (Post 306558)
Here's a freebie, the gun was returned for credit, it says it's a VH 20ga. with 26" barrels. Show us an in focus picture of the rib matting at the end of the barrels. It looks to me like the out of focus picture of the muzzles look like they touch but it's hard to tell.

When I enlarged it there appeared to be a large gap but it's so fuzzy anything is possible I suppose.

Mills Morrison 07-08-2020 11:41 AM

Looks like it has been resoldered. Better pictures will help

Randy G Roberts 07-08-2020 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I attempted an edit which I stink at however I do not see the gap I previously thought was there. Wait and see a better pic.