Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Swagging Setup (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30651)

CraigThompson 07-14-2020 10:02 AM

Swagging Setup

5 Attachment(s)
The Barnes/Armbrust 8 gauge swagging setup . Pretty decent idea for using the old Herter’s dinosaur press .

CraigThompson 07-14-2020 10:05 AM

All in all a lotta trouble to keep an 8 gauge shooting !!!

Bill Murphy 07-14-2020 10:31 AM

Most of us don't need so much quantity. Craig, why don't you take on unsized shells to swage? I would send you mine when I need them. What would be a fair price for sizing 50 or 100 plus shipping?

Richard Flanders 07-14-2020 11:37 AM

I like it! You can lay a cot out next to the bench and lay on your side and reload!!

Mills Morrison 07-14-2020 12:51 PM

I need to get the swaging setup. That is what I lack.

edgarspencer 07-14-2020 01:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Craig, are you pushing the hull down through a sizing die screwed into the 1 1/4x 8 threaded hole in the top of the press?
The swaging tool I have has two dies, to take it down in two steps rather than one. The Shell holder fits into the ram of the RCBS Rock Chucker, and the die threads into the top. On top of the die is the punchout handle.

CraigThompson 07-14-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Flanders (Post 307030)
I like it! You can lay a cot out next to the bench and lay on your side and reload!!

I don’t need a cot , the office chair I have sleeps very well . When my Boykin was still little she’d lay on my chest in that chair and we’d both take a nap .

CraigThompson 07-14-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 307042)
Craig, are you pushing the hull down through a sizing die screwed into the 1 1/4x 8 threaded hole in the top of the press?
The swaging tool I have has two dies, to take it down in two steps rather than one. The Shell holder fits into the ram of the RCBS Rock Chucker, and the die threads into the top. On top of the die is the punchout handle.

The setup I have , the ram pushes the hull up into the die , then there’s another ram inside the die that you push it back out . I seriously doubt I ever swagge more then 500-1000 hulls but it’s nice to know I have the ability should the need arise :cool:

CraigThompson 07-14-2020 06:40 PM

To be honest the cost of the tooling to keep an 8 going to my satisfaction kept me away from it for several years before I succumbed . I also thought getting the 8 gauge press was going to take longer , but from the day I told him I wanted a press , it was in my hands in about two weeks if my memory serves .

charlie cleveland 07-14-2020 11:20 PM

my first 8 ga resizer was a pair of conduit pliars...did not make pretty shells but worked for me a few years...my second resizer was one made from a blue print that wayne gave me...a friend to it to a machine shop and gave it to me it works perfect...it makes a factory looking hull in one step on my press which is some kind of a piece of machineary my dad picked up some where... any way I roll crimp my 8 ga loads but gona try to get me a 6 crimp for the 8 ga...charlie