Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Parker Grade A 20 gauge vs 28 Gauge (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27281)

Brian Lewis 05-10-2019 08:47 AM

Parker Grade A 20 gauge vs 28 Gauge

I was hoping for a little information. I have the chance to purchase one of two Parkers, the two guns are:

1. Parker double barrel grade A 20 Gauge twin trigger
2. Same vintage, double barrel 28 Gauge twin trigger

Both are non Damascus, approx years are 1930's, I am unable to determine the quality of the 28 gauge. It appears to be a high grade with a straighter stock. Any advice would be appreciated on how to determine the grade of the 28, and choice determination? Thank you!

Dean Romig 05-10-2019 08:52 AM

The serial numbers may help to determine the grade and confirm the configuration but we must remember there is missing data in about 1929-1931 or so and if the late thirties, Remington information is scant at best.

Eric Eis 05-10-2019 08:53 AM

Sorry, really !

Bill Murphy 05-10-2019 09:02 AM

The grade should be marked on the water table, but there are many A Grade upgrades that are not original. This is a hard buy for someone with questions. You should get someone to help you.

Brian Lewis 05-10-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 273516)
The grade should be marked on the water table, but there are many A Grade upgrades that are not original. This is a hard buy for someone with questions. You should get someone to help you.

Thats good advice! I am not quite familiar with the "water table".... do you have a little more info on that? Thanks in advance

Dean Romig 05-10-2019 09:17 AM

Pictures would help greatly, along with serial numbers.

CraigThompson 05-10-2019 09:19 AM

JMO , but if it turns out everything is equal ( IE quality grade condition ) I’d want the 28 . To be honest even if the 28 is a Grade or two lower and used/worn a bit more I’d still rather have the 28 . But then I have a preference for 10’s 16’s and 28’s .

Brian Lewis 05-10-2019 09:21 AM

Thanks all, I will try for serial numbers and some pics if possible. I love little 28's so if it comes down to a blind decision i may just go that way.

Randy G Roberts 05-10-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lewis (Post 273527)
Thanks all, I will try for serial numbers and some pics if possible. I love little 28's so if it comes down to a blind decision i may just go that way.

Very pricey guns you are speaking of. A blind decision as you referred to may well get you blind sided. IMO you should take Mr. Murphys advice and get some help. The aforementioned pictures and serial numbers are a must for guns of this grade. I am envious in that I would like to have that dilemma to deal with. Lots of good folks here that can help you. Best of luck !

edgarspencer 05-10-2019 11:48 AM

This is a question most never have an opportunity to weigh. My advise is, simply, Buy both. Twenty Eight gauge is the "In Thing" today. It may not always be, but sure is now. A Twenty, of any grade, is a lovely gun. Period. Twenties have always been, and always will be "In".