Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Opinions Please (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29095)

Daniel B Sweet 01-15-2020 08:12 PM

Opinions Please

I have a 12 gauge CHE 30" choked Mod/Full, I will be shooting sporting clays, five stand and upland gamebirds. I would prefer that it was choked I/C & Mod or even I/C & Lgt Mod. This gun is in it's original configuration at this time, that includes a vent rib, checkered butt with skeletonized buttplate, SST and Trap Modified forend. Please offer opinions on what opening the chokes would do to the guns value and collectability.

CraigThompson 01-15-2020 08:21 PM

To each his own and it’s your gun of course . But I wouldn’t open the chokes . If you want something more open buy another gun or get an orphan set of barrels and have them fit to the gun . Personally I feel that changing the chokes is not a wise move in the whole scheme of things financially.

John Knobelsdorf II 01-15-2020 08:24 PM

Value after changing the chokes -

If the finishes (barrels, receiver, and stocks) are already well worn - so the gun is basically “a shooter”, then changing the chokes to personal preference will probably make little to no difference if you were offering this to me.

But, if the overall condition shows the gun was given the care it deserves then I will pay more for the untouched version before the chokes are changed.

Also, I am hoping all Grade 4 CH guns do get the care they deserve.

The choking now there is what feels appropriate for 30” barrels.

If this were mine, and this gun is in better than average condition, then I would keep looking for the one with the chokes I want to use (may decide to not keep one I will not use).

todd allen 01-15-2020 08:29 PM

I've modified chokes in many guns, but never a Parker. Unless it's a clapped out restoration project, I wouldn't mess with the chokes.
That said, I have always wanted to build a dedicated Parker clays gun.

Gerald McPherson 01-15-2020 09:10 PM

I would try shooting those clay birds as it is. You may be surprised. Try different loads. It may like some better than others.

Patrick Lien 01-15-2020 09:10 PM

Please show us some pictures and frame size.

PML

Dean Romig 01-15-2020 09:22 PM

Shoot spreaders.

David Gehman 01-15-2020 09:43 PM

Pattern the gun with different loads.
Chokes sometimes are quite variable.
I would not change the chokes.
If you are on target the clay will usually break regardless of choke, within reasonable ranges.

Daniel B Sweet 01-15-2020 10:19 PM

I plan on shooting this gun but I would not classify it as a "Shooter". The gun is in excellent DelGrego restored condition. Currently I am having the stock bent back to neutral as it had 1/2" of cast off, I could never shoot it well with that much cast. After hearing from my friends at PGCA and my own further consideration I am going to leave the chokes as they are and see how well I shoot it. I know it will be great for flushing pheasants. The suggestion of finding another set of barrels and have them fit to the 1 1/2 frame is something to give serious consideration to, I'll keep my eyes open for a set of barrels that I can configure as I wish. Thanks to all

Mike Franzen 01-15-2020 11:13 PM

Good call!