Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Grade 1 with Damascus Barrels (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24748)

Jay Oliver 07-19-2018 07:42 PM

Grade 1 with Damascus Barrels

9 Attachment(s)
I just got this the other day, a #2 frame 10 gauge lifter with 30” barrels. It got my attention as it seemed to be a grade 1 with damascus barrels, serial #20690. When I saw the serial numbers on the barrels matched the rest of the gun I knew it was something different. If you look at the close up of the barrels flats it is stamped – “PT H D”, I wonder if they were making a note that these were in place of plain twist barrels?

The gun is listed in the serialization book as PT. I received the research letter and the gun letters with Damascus barrels and a price of $60, so maybe there was an additional charge($5) for the nicer barrels.

The gun should be a nice shooter. It has good stock dimensions – LOP – 14 ¼” DAH 2 ½”. The barrels are pitted a bit more than I would like, though I have seen worse. I do like the #2 frame 10 gauges…

Jay Oliver 07-19-2018 07:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did have an orphan set of #2 frame 12 gauge barrels that fit this gun fairly well. They are the second set from a gun in the 14,000 range and have the wedge forend. I just read another post on this forum about being careful of the fit of different barrels. These seem 90-95% percent there. The right barrel is slightly high.

The bores on these are very nice with almost no pitting. The outside is rough on both the barrels and the forend. I will get these fitted properly at some point.

Daryl Corona 07-19-2018 08:09 PM

Nice gun Jay, I really like the lifters and never understood why PB abandoned that design as it was ergonomically friendly. But, being a lefty the top lever is easier to operate with my left thumb pushing it but still prefer the lifter.

Dean Romig 07-19-2018 08:42 PM

On Parker No. 20690 the T between the crescents would normally indicate Twist or Twist Steel but there is a message beneath that which I read as Plain Twist H(?) Damascus. But I can't quite figure out the word that the H represents.

Mills Morrison 07-19-2018 08:48 PM

I was watching that one like a hawk and was badly tempted to break the gun moratorium but thankfully saw you had bid on it. Great catch! Looks to me like a grade 2, but could be wrong

Dean Romig 07-19-2018 09:02 PM

Apparently Parker Bros used the same roll stamp dies for both Grade 1 and Grade 2 lifters....

Of course, the subject gun doesn't have sculpted breech balls :whistle:

Jay Oliver 07-19-2018 09:38 PM

Dean, I was hoping you would reply, that's what is stamped - PT H D. I was thinking the same thing Plain Twist H?... Damascus. It's almost like someone was trying to document that the gun should have plain twist barrels and these are damascus.

Mills, I have no business buying guns right now. In fact, I am trying to be a little more disciplined, so I can go after some higher grade guns at some point. As you can see my plan isn't working too well. I was surprised I "won" this one...and happy to get something a little different.

Dean Romig 07-19-2018 09:46 PM

But... we have seen on various places on Parker guns, including (rarely) on the barrel flats PT'D and Pt'd regarding a particular Parker held patent - so I wouldn't rush into anything 'definite' on the Plain Twist H Damascus theory...

Jay Oliver 07-21-2018 10:00 AM

One thing I forgot to mention on this lifter is it has 2 7/8" chambers. In general, I have associated the 10 gauge lifter with 2 5/8" chambers. I know there are exceptions to this(and I found a few searching the forum), but it still seems rare to have the longer chambers on a lifter.

Dean Romig 07-21-2018 11:33 AM

I have a 4-digit 10 ga. lifter with 2 7/8” stepped chambers.