Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guns that speak (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26232)

Tom Flanigan 01-14-2019 02:58 PM

Guns that speak

I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this, but some guns “speak” to me and I never forget them. Some I own and these are included in the core of guns I’ll never sell but will pass down. These guns could be special because of provenance, excellence of the piece or both. Two that I don’t own that come to mind are Kevin McCormack’s “grandma’s” gun, a little 28 bore GH jewel that he once owned and Bruce Day’s gorgeous little CHE 20 bore “woodduck” gun.

Other lesser guns grow on you because of all the game you have taken with them and the memories they represent. I have a 20 bore PHE steel barrel gun, purchased last year, that is falling into this category. Both the gun and my little setter Jesse are new to me but I am already building great memories of both in the grouse woods this year. Lately I have been using the PHE exclusively for my grouse hunting since it fits me well and I shoot it as well as any grouse gun I own. I imagine that at some point I’ll add it to the core of Parker’s that I will never sell.

John Campbell 01-14-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan (Post 262907)
I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this, but some guns “speak” to me and I never forget them.... These guns could be special because of provenance, excellence of the piece or both.

Indeed, sir. We may collect guns, but those of us who are most aware know we are actually collecting threads of humanity: People of history who've used and touched these guns. Events long past that represent human sport and days afield. And of course, that includes ourselves and the experiences we imbue in, and transmit through, these instruments of wonder.

After all, our grand old double guns aren't really guns. They're time machines. Complete with the memory chips of our own lives.

Mills Morrison 01-14-2019 04:39 PM

This is true. Research letters really enhance this as well. I recently acquired a Parker apparently owned by semi famous Colorado gunmaker way back when - Carlos Gove.

Dean Romig 01-14-2019 06:02 PM

Only too well do I know of such Parkers.

As an examply, I am current custodian of a neat little 16 gauge 0-frame lifter, once owned by the indomitable Edgar Spencer and it brings me pride of ownership... and a bunch of grouse and woodcock too.

Mills Morrison 01-14-2019 06:09 PM

Dean reminded me of PGCA provenance. I have guns owned by Bill Mullins and Austin Hogan that are treasured

Mills Morrison 01-14-2019 07:35 PM

Just this very moment added an early lifter from the Jim Dispagno collection. Photos soon

CraigThompson 01-14-2019 08:08 PM

Intresting !

Bill Holcombe 01-14-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 262924)
Just this very moment added an early lifter from the Jim Dispagno collection. Photos soon

I can say a Dispagno gun brings a lot of provenance.

Bill Murphy 01-15-2019 10:15 AM

My Austin Hogan P Grade hammer gun speaks to me.

Tom Flanigan 01-15-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 262947)
My Austin Hogan P Grade hammer gun speaks to me.

Austin was a wonderful man. He came down to the Baltimore show years ago and told me that he was bringing something down for me. I met him in the parking lot and he handed me a well worn but untouched hammer 0 grade. He said, take it, its yours. He knew how found I was of hammer guns. What a generous gesture. I restored the gun completely and shoot it from time to time. This is one of my core of guns that I’ll never sell. Every time I shoot it I think of Austin.