Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Original or altered? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22716)

Greg Baehman 11-15-2017 09:56 PM

Does anyone else see what appears to be sanding marks and bluing loss under both choke stampings of the subject gun -- especially under the Q1 stamps, or am I hallucinating?

Dean Romig 11-15-2017 10:08 PM

I see what you're talking about Greg - you're not "hallucinating".

Lighter areas around the choke stamps.

I'm going to presume the gun is not in your possession...

Maybe the owner/seller thought the choke stamps would show up better if he 'polished' the area a bit to make the stamps stand out. With his not very good photographic abilities, he may have believed this was a good option.

Just more WAG's Greg.

Best, Dean

Greg Baehman 11-15-2017 10:18 PM

Okay now it seems we're getting somewhere. :cheers:
Does the sanding and bluing loss under the present choke stamps suggest anything?

Dean Romig 11-15-2017 10:21 PM

I raised my thoughts on this in my previous post... sorry, I went back and added some thoughts.

Brian Dudley 11-15-2017 10:23 PM

The letters and the numbers are different sizes on the subject gun. That is what looks odd to me.

Greg Baehman 11-15-2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 228573)

Maybe the owner/seller thought the choke stamps would show up better if he 'polished' the area a bit to make the stamps stand out. With his not very good photographic abilities, he may have believed this was a good option.

Just more WAG's Greg.

Best, Dean

Are you sure you're not hallucinating now?:)

Greg Baehman 11-15-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 228578)
The letters and the numbers are different sizes on the subject gun. That is what looks odd to me.

Could this be another clue unearthed once again in this thread? Does this suggest anything ?

Chad Hefflinger 11-15-2017 10:36 PM

As mentioned previously, spacing and size seem different, the numbers 1 & 2 are defiantly different, but that may be explained by a different set of factory dies being used as Dean mentions. Where I might be hallucinating is behind the Q 2 what looks to be a ghost shadow of a KE very faintly. Did they make a Skeet in / Skeet out as a choke option? Not sure why someone would go to the trouble of altering those stamps to read Q1 /Q2 but then again I may be seeing things.

Dean Romig 11-15-2017 10:40 PM

In the "Meriden days" of production a lot more attention was paid to the uniformity of die sizes. The Repros were produced more recently than forty years ago. Not so much care and attention went into minutia such as letter die sizes as compared to numeral die sizes.

Not sure it would suggest anything we could call solid.

Dean Romig 11-15-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Hefflinger (Post 228582)
Behind the Q 2 what looks to be a ghost shadow of a KE very faintly.

I see that too, between the Q and the 2... veery interesting!

And yes, the very early ones had "SKEET" markings as I recall. Greg would know better.