Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   "New" 10 Gauge/ More Photos (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11240)

Patrick Butler 08-28-2013 07:00 PM

"New" 10 Gauge/ More Photos

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more photos of the 10. I tried to get the oiled surface of the stock, without much luck

It is, as you can see a grade two, but it has some nice engraving. The stock has some fairly good dimensions for a 1884 production Parker, LP from the middle of the front trigger is 14" and the drop is, by my inexperienced eye, 2 and 2 7/8.

Mills Morrison 08-28-2013 07:27 PM

Very nice. I have a similar one which I love as well. Yours seems to be in better shape than mine

wayne goerres 08-28-2013 09:06 PM

That looks like the twin to mine. Nice one.

David Hamilton 09-04-2013 08:08 PM

That could be one great shooting gun. David

charlie cleveland 09-04-2013 10:39 PM

mighty nice...charlie

Patrick Butler 05-09-2014 01:21 PM

Update on my 10 (#40,966):

After using some snap caps, I ordered a mixed case of RST loads and stopped by a local gunsmith to have the barrel thickness checked before I lugged this 3 frame to the range.
A new guy there took the barrels into the back and came out after a few minutes with the bad news that he found the minimum thickness to be .015 (groan). This was long after the three day inspection period and I drove home kicking myself for not investing the $600 for a decent thickness gauge. I now had a $1720 wall hanger, and just planned to clean it myself.

A few months later I took a look at those fantastic photos posted here by Gary Carmichael Sr. in "Just another C grade" and called up the gun builder (Brad) who did the work. Brad was very nice on the phone, asked me several questions re this old Parker and finished with the suggestion that the measurements made might be incorrect and that I should try another gunsmith who worked a lot with doubles.

Finding a decent double smith in N California is no small job as most of the best have retired. I finally asked the folks at my local sporting clays range who worked on the 30+ over and under they had for rental and they referred me to a gunsmith in San Jose.
I watched, waiting for more bad news as he spent about thirty minutes checking out the full length of the barrels just making an occasional "hmm". At the end he said that the minimum thickness, and that was way out at just before the chokes, was .058 ! In addition, the barrels rang well, and the face was very tight and the bores looked great.

I called Brad up that day and mailed this old boy to him. Brad called me back the next week and confirmed all of the gunsmith's measurements, saying that the minimum thickness was over.058, he could find no cracks in the stock, and that what I thought were scratches on the bottom of the receiver were casting marks. He mentioned that this was one of the best condition hammer guns he had inspected that was of this age and that it looked like it had had very little use. I quickly agreed to his reasonable offer for a complete restoration and should have this old duck-killer back by December.

I'll post photos when it returns. This hammer forum saved my old Parker from the wall and it will be back in the field late this year. Thank you all for this great web site.

Dave Noreen 05-09-2014 02:23 PM

I'm thinking you mean .058" :)

Patrick Butler 05-09-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 138738)
I'm thinking you mean .058" :)

Opps. Yes, thank you, it was .058". .I wonder what .58 barrels on a 10 would weigh?

Mills Morrison 05-09-2014 03:36 PM

You should feel lucky to have such a nice gun. These old hammer guns are hard to find in as good a condition as yours.

Rich Anderson 05-09-2014 04:13 PM

I have been shooting more hammer guns lately and have just received a grade 2 lifter from 1880. She could use to have the barrels refinished but I'll check wall thickness and chokes tomorrow. Also there is a grade 1 top lever on it's way....damn I'm hopeless:rolleyes:

You have a very nice gun there and I'm sure the waterfowl in your area will not be happy about it.