Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   10ga. A grade #4 Frame (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28151)

Jay Oliver 09-14-2019 05:14 PM

10ga. A grade #4 Frame

9 Attachment(s)
I had mentioned this gun in another thread and wanted to post some pictures. This is a recent addition, a 10 Gauge “Premier Quality” grade A Top Action Hammer gun serial# 31841 made in 1883 on a #4 frame. It was engraved by Harry Gough. This was one of 8 consecutive numbered 4 Frame 10 Gauge Premier Quality guns in the serial number range 31839 – 31846. There is a 2009 article in Parker Pages called “Parker Locks and Hammer” that discusses these 8 guns.

The barrels have been cut from 32” to 28” and as you’ll see in the pictures someone raised the comb with some interesting stock work. The bores are as close to perfect as I have seen even though they are cut. The barrels have been refinished at some point and are more of a dull brown. Some of the engraving on the rib is worn, but you can still make everything out. The gun locks up tight…like new.

Brian Dudley is going to help me with the stock. I will also have the original barrels refinished and the engraving touched up. I would really like to find some 32” #4 frame barrels for this to put it back in it’s original configuration.
As you can see from the pictures this gun has a lot going for it. It isn’t comfortable to shoot with the way the stock is now so I am looking forward to getting that fixed.

Jay Oliver 09-14-2019 05:18 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pictures. Mostly of the engraving and a few other close ups...

Mills Morrison 09-14-2019 05:29 PM

That is beautiful! I would work on fixing what you have and just wait for some other barrels to come along

charlie cleveland 09-14-2019 05:46 PM

nice will make a fine shooter and looker.....charlie

Gary Carmichael Sr 09-14-2019 06:02 PM

nice gun Jay, gary

Bill Murphy 09-14-2019 07:49 PM

Is there a letter on this gun? It looks like a VIP gun.

Garry L Gordon 09-14-2019 07:55 PM

What a lovely old gun.

Randy G Roberts 09-14-2019 08:32 PM

Oh my what a gun Jay. That would be one exciting project. I'm with Mills on the barrels. Work on what you have and pray. Of course if you restore it as is and then come across a set of 32's that would make a great 2 barrel set.

Brian Dudley 09-14-2019 08:33 PM

Some additional details on this gun.
It is signed by Gough (HG) on the right lockplate. Some others of the 8 guns are out there and this is the only one that I know of that is signed. The engraving and metalwork is spectacular! And everything inside of it is high polish and the mainsprings are even engine turned (Jeweled).

Another interesting tidbit is that the one hammer is mismatched it is from the next gun in the consecutive run. And that gun has this guns hammer on it. They were mixed up at the factory!!!

All 8 guns were all ordered by the same sporting good store in St.Louis and they were all identical in grade and configuration. That still has me scratching my head as to why 8 guns, all the same were ordered on speculation.

This one was found in a trailer home in Upstate NY and was only 1/2 hour away from where the original owner of the gun lived. It was original owned by a military man. A band leader and composer for the 9th infantry.

Jay Oliver 09-14-2019 08:46 PM

Thanks Brian, I was hoping you would chime in with more details. I am sure at some point I will come across another set of barrels that will work and have a 2 barrel set. It might be a 10 year search, but that is okay. For now I am going fix what needs to be fixed and enjoy the gun.