Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   A Southern Side Trip (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12579)

Rich Anderson 01-30-2014 02:21 PM

A Southern Side Trip

As we prepare for (hopefully) warmer temperatures for the Southern the end of April the usual suspects invite anyone who really wants to do some shooting to join us at nearby Drakes Landing in Fuquay-Varnia, NC.

I spoke to Dan Andrews the owner of Drakes Landing today and his new (and second) 100 target sporting clays course will be open as well as the 5 stand. That gives us three courses to shoot, NO waiting and it's a great place to burn powder, and he REALLY appreciates our patronage. With the added course we could develop some friendly competition in say a small bore, hammergun etc events. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If I can get a pretty good head count Dan is willing to provide lunch and a dinner for a nominal fee. He also said he would get shirts for us so if you want one please get me your size.

Several of us will get in Wednesday night and shoot Thursday-Saturday at Drakes. There is plenty of time to walk the tents at Deep River and participate in the Challenge. I have averaged two guns bought at the Southern for ten years and even thou I shot at Drakes a lot I still got my purchases in:eek:

Maybe some of those "other" shooters from the Fox and Smith camps will come join us. Its a great time and a greater place to shoot.

Rooms for those wishing to stay closer to the shooting are available at nearby Quality Inn for $69/night.

Craig Larter 01-30-2014 02:56 PM

Rich: I would love to join you guys Thursday, after that I will be manning the AH Fox booth. What time do you normally meet up at Drakes. Craig Larter

Rich Anderson 01-30-2014 03:09 PM

Craig glad to have you join us. I think we will meet at Drakes at 10am this will give us time for a liesurely round of clays and maybe some 5 stand and a little lunch if you would like it.

David Dwyer 01-30-2014 03:15 PM

Craig
Some us younger guys get there to shoot at 9AM. :)
David

Rich Anderson 01-30-2014 03:39 PM

David feel free to get there at 9am but they arn't open untill 10am.

David Dwyer 01-30-2014 03:44 PM

:(:(:(

Mills Morrison 01-30-2014 04:01 PM

See you all there

Rich Anderson 01-30-2014 04:03 PM

Perhaps if we get enough shooters he would consider 9am. Its worth asking. Mills looking forward to shooting with you and the Mrs.

Mills Morrison 01-30-2014 04:15 PM

Put us down for 2 T-shirts, both XL, if there is sufficient interest. You know, we need to get started earlier if possible so we don't miss the gun show Friday evening.

Rich Anderson 01-30-2014 04:20 PM

What gunshow are you referring to Mills?

Mills Morrison 01-30-2014 04:23 PM

The Parker Gun foundation thing at Ruth's Chris

Rich Anderson 01-30-2014 04:25 PM

I'm sure you will get in enough shooting and still make the dinner. Are you going to shoot Thursday as well?

Mills Morrison 01-30-2014 04:28 PM

It will probably be just Friday for us. Like you say, I am sure we will get plenty of shooting

Mike.Smith 01-31-2014 04:57 PM

Rich, I hope it goes without saying that I'm in for this, and my shirt size is also XL. Craig, I hope you are able to join us on Thursday for some fun before your Fox booth duties. Maybe a few of the other Foxers would be interested as well.

Mike

Rich Anderson 01-31-2014 05:01 PM

Mike I considered you one of "the usual suspects":rotf::rotf:

If we get enough Thursday shooters we can have Dan prepare us a little dinner.

Craig Larter 01-31-2014 05:53 PM

Mike: I will definitely be there on Thursday, I have already planned to arrive a day early. I plan to shoot a Parker just no pictures please :rotf:. Roll will never let me live it down:nono:

Dave Noreen 01-31-2014 06:13 PM

I've been to Craig's house. His rack of Parker Bros. doubles is just as nice as his racks of Ansley H. Fox doubles.

Mike.Smith 01-31-2014 07:04 PM

Craig, you're secret is safe with me. With all the shooting we'll do that weekend, I know both my Foxes and Parkers of all gauges will get a good workout!

Rich, I can already taste the Brisket....

Mike

David Dwyer 02-01-2014 07:26 AM

C O B
The Parker foundation banquette will have a stunning display of some of Charley Greens' collection. I know Charlie and what he collects. These will be a group of stunning guns you have never seen and will probably never see again. Charlies likes ultra high condition, all original Parkers of all grades.
David

David Dwyer 02-01-2014 07:30 AM

Mike
I think it would be great if they will open at 9AM for those few days . We will hopefully see Dan in two weeks if you do not see him sooner. My size is L.
David

Mills Morrison 02-01-2014 08:16 AM

I remember he has a 40 inch DH 10 gauge pictured in TPS. I am looking forward to the banquet

Mark Ouellette 02-01-2014 12:38 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Rich,

Sign me up for a large t-shirt! I sure hope they feed us that North Carolina bar-b-que again!!!

I love shooting at Drakes Landing :bowdown:

Rich Anderson 02-01-2014 06:39 PM

I gotch you covered mark. Drakes is the ONLY reason I'll travel 13+ hrs to NC to shoot.

Daryl Corona 02-01-2014 08:38 PM

XL for me Rich. I agree Mark, it's a great place to shoot but it goes far beyond pulling the trigger. It's the most fun I have shooting, along with Hausmanns, and it's all due the the great comraderie and friendships we have established over the years. Let the games begin!:)

Harold Lee Pickens 02-01-2014 10:15 PM

Now remember Rich, I will turn 60 at the shoot. Don't go to any trouble, but any O frame 16 ga hammer gun would be appreciated.

Rich Anderson 02-02-2014 08:33 AM

Harold am I to assume you will be attending the festivities in April? I just happen to have a grade 2 16ga 0 frame with 30 inch bbls fresh from the expert craftmanship of Dale Edmonds for your 60th birthday........to shoot if you so desire:rotf:

Eric Eis 02-02-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl Corona (Post 129177)
XL for me Rich. I agree Mark, it's a great place to shoot but it goes far beyond pulling the trigger. It's the most fun I have shooting, along with Hausmanns, and it's all due the the great comraderie and friendships we have established over the years. Let the games begin!:)

Daryl you could not have said it better. The only thing I hope for this year, is that we get more people to come out and enjoy the courses at Drakes. I know last year some were asked not to go to Drakes to support Deep River but I think we showed that we can support the LC/Parker shoot and enjoy all the vendors and still have and still have a wonderful shoot at another club that appreciates our business .

ps. a large for me

FRANK HALSEY 02-03-2014 01:41 PM

Ok. Where is Drake's?? Do they have a web site? Thanks, Frank

Rich Anderson 02-03-2014 02:42 PM

Frank it's in Fuquay-Varina NC which is about 30min from Deep River. The web site is www.hunt@drakelanding.net You can also Google Drake Landing if this isn't the correct address. This is one of the best sporting clays courses I have ever shot. This year there are two 100 target courses with multiple shooting stations for each target presentation and a nicer bunch of people you ever meet. Please come join us for a round or two and see for yourself.

FRANK HALSEY 02-03-2014 02:53 PM

Ok, looks like I have to go and shoot there at least one day. It looks too nice to let it pass. My size is a little bigger than you guys. XXL is what I need. Thanks, Frank

Rich Anderson 02-03-2014 03:02 PM

Frank we will be shooting Thurs-Sat mostly in the am I would think so we can get to Deep River and spend some time ogeling guns and such. When you know what day you want to come just let me know.

You will absolutely love this course.

FRANK HALSEY 02-03-2014 03:13 PM

I think that will be Friday. I get in on Thursday but than practice the 5 stand and look at guns that day. Friday, I can get away for at least the morning. I shoot 8 events at Deep River besides the Parker vs. LC Smith shoot so the most I can do is Friday morning. Thanks and I look forward to it. Frank

Eric Eis 02-04-2014 09:54 AM

Frank a lot of times DR is not setup on Thursday morning so why not shoot a round in the morning and then head over to DR in the afternoon. Just a thought

FRANK HALSEY 02-04-2014 03:51 PM

I will be getting in about 1:00 P.M. that is why I shoot on Thursday. But I can get up early on Friday and shoot at Drake's. It does sound like a great place. Thanks, Frank

Rich Anderson 02-04-2014 04:36 PM

Frank we will see you Friday at 9am, looking forward to meeting you.

Mills Morrison 02-04-2014 08:32 PM

So, it is officially 9:00 a.m. now instead of 10:00? Works for me

FRANK HALSEY 02-05-2014 01:58 PM

I will be there. Looks great and a nice group to shoot with. What could be better!!!. I am dying to get out of the Chicago land area for a while. This has been the 2nd worse winter on record. I am READY for some warm weather. Frank

Rich Anderson 02-05-2014 02:08 PM

Their website says 9am but I'm sure when I called the recorder said 10am. I'll firm up the time with Dan as we get closer.

Perhaps some of the group that will be there in Feb could clear this up. How about it Mills, David????

Frank I know what you mean about the weather its been a very long winter and we still have at least 8 weeks to go:eek:

Mills Morrison 02-05-2014 05:33 PM

It does not make a huge difference to me. When we went up this Fall, I think we started at 10 and had plenty of time to get all the shooting we wanted. We can check when we are there this month, though

Harold Lee Pickens 02-21-2014 12:34 PM

Rich,
OK, I'm in. Schedule cleared and hotel room booked. Are we shooting Thursday morning?