Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How Cold Is It!? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23032)

Garry L Gordon 12-28-2017 12:26 PM

How Cold Is It!?

For those of you across the country hunting this week (or hoping to), I pose the question, "How cold was your most recent hunt?" I know that with hunting members scattered throughout the States (and Canada), there should be a range of temperatures, from temperate to downright cold (as it is here in North Missouri).

***So, if you have the time, how about chime in and let us know what the temperatures and conditions were on your most recent hunt.***

We sat out yesterday when the high was 6 degrees, but are heading out in a few minutes to chase quail and pheasants with the thermometer reading 12 degrees with a stiff breeze and about 4 inches of snow on the ground. We'll use plenty of Musher's Secret today I'm sure.

I hope someone is hunting in warmer and more comfortable conditions, but as a favorite writer of mine, Percy Blogg, wrote, "There are No Dull Dark Days'.

Jerry Harlow 12-28-2017 12:38 PM

It was 13 this morning with a 10 to 20 mph wind. So according to the chart near zero! Got up and started to call my hunting partner to postpone, but the doves have to all feed unlike a warm day so we went for three hours. As the sun came up it got colder as it always does. Standing still so we did not get warmer.

Garry L Gordon 12-28-2017 12:45 PM

Nothing like doves with a good tail wind to provide good excuses for missing them, eh? And what state/area are you hunting? Just curious about the state, not prying into your secret dove spots.

Gary Laudermilch 12-28-2017 03:35 PM

Took the boys for a run on Tuesday. It was 12 with a 20 mph wind. When we worked into the wind it froze my face. I intended to go today but it was -2 this morning but only about 10 mph wind, but still I said the heck with it and loaded shells instead. Maybe tomorrow.

Supposed to shoot clays Sunday. Forecast is for 2 overnight and a high of 10. Grandson says we are going so we will.

Jerry Harlow 12-28-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 231568)
Nothing like doves with a good tail wind to provide good excuses for missing them, eh? And what state/area are you hunting? Just curious about the state, not prying into your secret dove spots.

The Old Dominion.

Kevin McCormack 12-28-2017 05:19 PM

Spent all day yesterday on the ram end of a log splitter; high was 28 degrees. Hit it again at 7AM (12 degrees) and finished up around 10 AM when it had warmed up to a balmy 28 again. A little wind always helps!! As revenge against the drudgery of 'chores', we have a quail hunt planned for tomorrow morning "late" (10-ish) and the weather can do whatever it wants; we're going anyway.

BTW - Percy Thayer Blogg was a local boy (MD) - Check out his, "When Springtime Comes to Bodkin Creek." - it'll help take your mind off this cold!!!!!

Bob Brown 12-28-2017 06:10 PM

Got up this morning and the temperature was -35 and wind chills of -45. Not too bad, but I've tried hunting in these conditions and in hindsight while it was occasionally satisfying it was never "fun". Must be getting old.

Robin Lewis 12-28-2017 07:32 PM

It's 7:30 Thursday evening and I set the broom under the thermometer and the mercury is down on the broom handle. It says its 4 degrees and heading down even more.

Not as bad as it could be but it is cold outside!

Matt Buckley 12-28-2017 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went out this afternoon for what I think is the last pheasant hunt of the year for me in Minnesota with 15 degrees and a 10 mph breeze. Our season ends on Jan 1 and it is supposed to be below zero from here on out in MN. The Parker Reproduction 20 scored. The rooster looks a bit rough because he decided to go for a swim in a open drainage ditch before my friends Boynkin Spainel cornered him.

Jeff Kuss 12-28-2017 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to wait another day, but my new waders came in the mail so I decided to try them out. It was a balmy 14 degrees when I started walking ditches this afternoon.
Only three more days of duck season, so I had to attempt hunting. I jumped two groups of Mallards. I doubled on one group . Of course I dropped both of them in the water! Unlike my old waders, the new ones don't leak.