Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   An 8 bore intended for a bit different purpose. (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34964)

Milton C Starr 12-10-2021 09:07 AM

An 8 bore intended for a bit different purpose.

There are not many 8 bore videos on youtube especially ones that show the guns in good detail but I ran across this just now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzP2zXhTx7A&t=3s

I thought Craig Thompson might find it interesting since he tests 8 gauge buckshot loads. Im surprised how well proportioned it looks with 27" barrels. Im assuming it was intended to use buckshot since it choked full/full any thoughts on that ? I couldnt find any information on the effectiveness of buckshot for alligators, but I did find ballistic gel test that showed 00B averaged around the same penetration as 22lr which is commonly used on alligators for headshots. I think it would be easy to say this 8 bore probably has some interesting stories :rotf:

CraigThompson 12-11-2021 01:26 AM

Thanks ! I’d really like a W&C Scott or WW Greener in an 8 gauge paradox or fully rifled . Far as that goes the same in a 10 gauge would be fine as well .

Milton C Starr 12-11-2021 01:49 AM

Craig I was looking into larger size buckshot online today and one of the first things it pulled up was a thread you posted on the castbulletassoc forum about 0000 buck haha.
I was looking to see if anyone had experimented with casting hardcast buckshot but couldnt find much information.

I seen one person mention perhaps hardcast might not be ideal for buckshot since it wouldnt expand as much however I dont think buckshots killing power is from expansion but from putting multiple holes in a vital organ. Although a different issue might be how rough would hardcast buckshot be on full chokes I doubt theres much information to find on that either though.

Milton C Starr 12-11-2021 01:51 AM

Funny you mention the 10 gauge as there is a Holland&Holland 10 gauge paradox gun on GI.

CraigThompson 12-11-2021 03:05 AM

I’ve used 10 gauge with 0000 and 00000 homecast to kill deer . Did that a couple years ago . Neither deer traveled more than twenty yards after the shot . All my buckshot is cast from an alloy of 50% clip on wheelweights and 50% pure lead . Harder seems to do better at further distance but I’m intrested in a max of about thirty yards .

charlie cleveland 12-11-2021 05:37 PM

the new wheel weights are no good for making buckshot..what ever their made of will not melt like lead...ive tried it and could not use it...charlie

charlie cleveland 12-11-2021 05:39 PM

would love to own this crockdile gun....and the 10 bore Holland and Holland would be iceing on the cake....charlie

Milton C Starr 12-11-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 350055)
I’ve used 10 gauge with 0000 and 00000 homecast to kill deer . Did that a couple years ago . Neither deer traveled more than twenty yards after the shot . All my buckshot is cast from an alloy of 50% clip on wheelweights and 50% pure lead . Harder seems to do better at further distance but I’m intrested in a max of about thirty yards .

We have this small watering hole that the hogs use that you can jump shoot pretty close up about 15-20 yards max. I thinking the 8 gauge with large buckshot like you mentioned might be a good solution. Whats the diameter on the 00000 balls ? Currently I am thinking super buck Ts for the coyotes and the .440 roundballs for the hogs 6 pellets of those should be around 1 3/4 oz roughly .

Milton C Starr 12-11-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 350107)
would love to own this crockdile gun....and the 10 bore Holland and Holland would be iceing on the cake....charlie

Charlie I think if you had a short barreled 8 gauge choked full/full it might end up being your favorite gun.

CraigThompson 12-11-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 350120)
I thinking the 8 gauge with large buckshot like you mentioned might be a good solution. Whats the diameter on the 00000 balls ?

.415”