Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Reloading vintage paper 10 ga hulls ? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29663)

Milton C Starr 03-14-2020 06:41 PM

Reloading vintage paper 10 ga hulls ?

Ive been looking at some 10 ga paper hulls on a few different sites that are unfired , I was wondering if anyone here as attempted reloading/loading original paper hulls ?

I suppose the main two problems would be the primers would probably need replacing and trying to find if theres even a primer that would work and if the paper is still any good .

Daniel Carter 03-14-2020 07:01 PM

I have had success replacing the old primers by first using a spent 209 and forcing it in then out and then seating a new 209. Have done this with 28 paper and 16 paper and plastic. Again first seat a SPENT 209 and then the live one

Milton C Starr 03-14-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Carter (Post 296466)
I have had success replacing the old primers by first using a spent 209 and forcing it in then out and then seating a new 209. Have done this with 28 paper and 16 paper and plastic. Again first seat a SPENT 209 and then the live one

I have seen some 10 ga paper hulls loaded with 209s im guessing they were late production 10 ga 2 7/8 .

The Winchester hulls I was looking at are primed with a Winchester #4 primer .
I couldnt find much info about them when trying to google them .

CraigThompson 03-14-2020 07:11 PM

I had a few hundred of the size primers they used in the old hulls but have used them up think they were #57 or #67 something like that . And as stated above I got them so I could use 209’s after I used up the correct size primers .

Milton C Starr 03-14-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 296471)
I had a few hundred of the size primers they used in the old hulls but have used them up think they were #57 or #67 something like that . And as stated above I got them so I could use 209’s after I used up the correct size primers .

Well I was just thinking it would be cool to have maybe 10 or so 10 ga paper hulls loaded up for turkey season . Those old hulls can be expensive and turkey hunting uses a low ammo count I think a few would last awhile .

To me nothing looks better than a rolled crimped paper hull with your vintage sxs .

Rick Losey 03-14-2020 07:58 PM

just remember - the old primers were corrosive

the pitting we see is more due to them than the commonly blamed black powder, that is why you'll see pitting in a gun made after smokeless was common

CraigThompson 03-14-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 296476)

the pitting we see is more due to them than the commonly blamed black powder, that is why you'll see pitting in a gun made after smokeless was common

The primers thst were slightly smaller that I had , I don’t think were corrosive . They were made in the 50’s 60’s or early 70’s I think .

Daniel Carter 03-14-2020 08:08 PM

My experience is replacing the 57 primer with the 209, if the 4 is the same as the 57 give or take it should work.

Milton C Starr 03-14-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Losey (Post 296476)

I was talking about this with a forum member this morning , ive read it was the salts that old primers had that made them so corrosive ?

I bought a never opened ammo case years ago that was packed with 30-06 ammo in the M1 Garand stripper clips . the cardboard on them looked new.
It was loaded or at least packed in the ammo can in 1969 . We shot them through a cheap bolt gun we had. It left a nasty green residue in the bore . I assume that was from the primers ?

I wouldnt use old primers in a vintage double though because you dont know if you are going to get a squib load or not using them .

I dug up a old thread on here someone was asking about if they could use the 10 ga paper hulls that were loaded with flares . They are a green hull and look to use a 209 primer . Theres a whole box of them on GB and they look pristine .

Dave Noreen 03-15-2020 09:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Winchester's NEW No. 4 was their primer for their REPEATER, LEADER, PIGEON and Metal Lined shells from about 1904 to the July 1931 Winchester catalog.

LEADER shell with the earlier No. 4 primer --

Attachment 81975

LEADER shell with the NEW No. 4 primer --

Attachment 81976

NEW No. 4 primers --

Attachment 81974

Attachment 81977

Winchester was purchased out of receivership by the Olin's of Western Cartridge Co. December 22, 1931. By the 1933 Winchester catalog the LEADER, REPEATER, Super-Speed and RANGER loaded shells were all being produced with Staynless priming, mirroring Western's Non-Corrosive priming in their RECORD, FIELD, Super-X and XPERT loaded shells.