Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Non Factory Case Colors on Repro (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35729)

Robert Calamusso II 03-02-2022 02:30 AM

Non Factory Case Colors on Repro

Gents !

Does one devalue a Repro by having bone and charcoal case colors refitted to the Repro ?

Even Turnbulls.

Thx

Bob Jurewicz 03-02-2022 06:13 AM

Great question! I have a 20 GA with Turnbull Colors. It is in almost new condition in every way so it was not an effort to restore a worn gun. Makes gun look much better and more original. Next step will be to have Brian Dudley add the proper borders.
I do not believe these modifications will either add or take away from the value of the gun.
Bob Jurewicz

edgarspencer 03-02-2022 07:15 AM

If two otherwise identical guns were offered up for sale, the one with real case hardening would sell first. As Bob said, above, having the borders mullered, and I would add, the synthetic finish replaced with a nice oil finish, The gun will be far more attractive to me.

John Allen 03-02-2022 08:09 AM

If you compare 2 guns both new.One with original colors and one with good aftermarket colors, there is little difference in price. The difference in price will show up after the guns are used and handled. The original repro colors will come off faster than bone charcoal colors causing the gun to look more worn. After use,the aftermarket gun will hold its value much better than the original.

Brian Dudley 03-02-2022 10:18 AM

Except for a few that may care, I would say that it does not really matter. If anything it may help the gun for those who care about the colors looking better and more "legit".

allen newell 08-15-2022 08:14 PM

The colors on the Repros that i have are getting pretty thin. Im considering have them re-colored bone charcoal. Any recommendations on who would be best to undertake this work?

Dean Romig 08-15-2022 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It is my opinion based on fact that having the checkering borders redone with Parker (Meriden) mullered would not be in keeping with what the gun was originally intended to reproduce - but then neither were the Kodensha borders a good reproduction of the Remington Ilion examples Tom Skeuse had sent to be copied. The Remington Parkers made in Ilion did not have mullered borders as did the Meriden guns.

See examples of original Ilion checkering borders below.

Bob Jurewicz 08-16-2022 12:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some Turnbull Colors.
Bob Jurewicz

Bill Murphy 08-16-2022 06:45 AM

I agree with all posters who say that real bone charcoal colors add to the value of a high condition Repro. I also agree that properly done mullered borders are a nice touch even though they are not proper of an Ilion Parker. The only negative factor is that the owner of this upgraded Repro will have a bit more money invested, probably happily invested.

Dan Steingraber 08-16-2022 08:09 AM

I recently acquired a beautifully refinished VH 28 that I’ve decided to have the cyanide case colors removed and replaced with bone and charcoal. I personally find the bone and charcoal colors more appealing and my hope is it will look closer to original.