Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Not Parker guns but this is what it's all about! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34778)

Mike Koneski 11-20-2021 01:29 PM

Not Parker guns but this is what it's all about!

3 Attachment(s)
Today I was booked to guide out a foursome. Two 15 year old girls were with their fathers on their first bird hunt. The safety, gun handling, shoot/don't shoot decisions were awesome!! It was such a pleasure to participate in their first time in the field and to witness a few really fine shots from the girls to boot!! They were better than most adults I've guided. Looking forward to working with them on the clays range and to guide them again.

Dean Romig 11-20-2021 02:21 PM

Congratulations Mike and those two young ladies.
Like you say Mike, this truly is what it’s all about!!

Jeff Stegmeier 11-20-2021 04:43 PM

Excellent post!

Bruce Hering 11-20-2021 06:01 PM

Way to go Mike. Keep on keepin on.....

Andrew Sacco 11-20-2021 07:39 PM

Mike amazing! Our little one Gia has expressed some interest in getting her hunting license. Took her to watch Raisin work and she was amazed at what she saw, two points, two dead birds, then she helped me make pheasant pot pie (after "the guts were out"). So seeing other young women in the sport is amazing. I'm convinced that it is one of the things that can help save the sport and the heritage. I'm thinking of bringing her to Johns after deer season. Do kids in PA need a hunting license for a preserve? They don't in NY, and not sure of age requirements. I'm assuming your mustache didn't scare these young women off. A good thing. I've seen it. It's scary.

Mills Morrison 11-20-2021 07:43 PM

This morning Harry got his first wood duck and this afternoon there were several hundred youth shooters competing at the Forest City Gun Club. There is hope and a lot of it actually

Andrew Sacco 11-20-2021 08:01 PM

I would guess more so in a normal state Mills. NY is the liberal trash heap of the world. There is a high school near us that is very rural. And for 50 years the kids have had a “drive your tractor to school day” for the seniors. They are all farmers. This year they won’t let them do it because it’s not environmentally friendly. And this is in a rural conservative area. I don’t know what the hell is wrong with this world but it’s really a problem. Orders come from Albany. Can’t wait to get out of here someday. I’ll be in a walker by then but I’ll move it fast!

Garry L Gordon 11-21-2021 07:17 AM

The several years before I retired, I taught a course in hunting in America -- its literature and history (including the history of conservation in America). I learned a great deal from the students.

One thing was clear in my surveys and conversations of my students: if you want to continue to have young people involved in hunting, make sure that women are also engaged in the activity. If women are involved, it's much more likely that the next generation of children will be involved.

Mike, you are doing your good deed in guiding those young women. Thank you.

And to all of you who help and encourage your own kids and those of others to take to the field and hunt ethically -- thank you. It can be like planting an acorn, knowing you might never sit in the shade of that tree...but knowing the tree will live because of your efforts.

Mike Koneski 11-21-2021 08:56 AM

Andy, no age restriction and no need for a PA license to hunt on a preserve in PA. BTW, majority of women like the stache, it's "men" who can't grow a good one who fear it!! :whistle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 348318)
Mike amazing! Our little one Gia has expressed some interest in getting her hunting license. Took her to watch Raisin work and she was amazed at what she saw, two points, two dead birds, then she helped me make pheasant pot pie (after "the guts were out"). So seeing other young women in the sport is amazing. I'm convinced that it is one of the things that can help save the sport and the heritage. I'm thinking of bringing her to Johns after deer season. Do kids in PA need a hunting license for a preserve? They don't in NY, and not sure of age requirements. I'm assuming your mustache didn't scare these young women off. A good thing. I've seen it. It's scary.

Andrew Sacco 11-21-2021 09:58 AM

Dude. I’m Italian. I can grow a beard in the time between finishing my bagel and morning shower. Real men don’t need a mustache to make women happy ; ) Happy Thanksgiving to your and Sue and Tad and everyone else on this board. I’ll call John and get Gia down there. Excited for that!