Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   "Cleaning up" an old Parker (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14313)

Mills Morrison 09-06-2014 09:28 AM

"Cleaning up" an old Parker

4 Attachment(s)
I picked this one up playing Gunbroker roulette (low ball bid that gets it). It is a low grade and was in bad shape with a cracked and crudely repaired stock, pitting and dents in the barrels, and a messed up action with one hammer screw missing. It made no sense to do much to it except the bare minimum to get it working and safe. Brian Dudley shored up the stock, repaired the action, generally cleaned it up and did some light honing to get the worst of the pitting out of the bores. The result is a very usable Parker which still shows its wear and history, but won't embarrass anyone's dog.

Thought I would share this for anyone with a similar old Parker debating what to do. This is a good compromise between doing nothing or parting out and a full blown restoration.

Steve Havener 09-06-2014 12:13 PM

Well she ain't no prom queen but at least she found someone to dance with. Great job and have fun with her.

Brian Dudley 09-06-2014 12:44 PM

Mills, wasn't that a 32" 1 frame gun?

I would have liked to do a lot more to the gun, but you have to know when to stop and be wise with the money.

Bill Holcombe 09-06-2014 01:47 PM

Nice Find!

charlie cleveland 09-06-2014 07:08 PM

mills you got a fine shooter there... i like it when a old gun is brought back to shooting status...don t look like she was hardly as bad as the old 8 ga you had....charlie

Mills Morrison 09-06-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 146650)
Mills, wasn't that a 32" 1 frame gun?

I would have liked to do a lot more to the gun, but you have to know when to stop and be wise with the money.

It is 32" but I think it is a 2 frame. The 32" barrels were a plus in the decision.

Mills Morrison 09-06-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 146669)
mills you got a fine shooter there... i like it when a old gun is brought back to shooting status...don t look like she was hardly as bad as the old 8 ga you had....charlie

She was not as bad as the old 8, but the old 8 is shooting again too.

wayne goerres 09-06-2014 08:20 PM

That should make a great candidate for the swamps. I would bet RST appreciates you.

Mills Morrison 09-06-2014 08:58 PM

That is right Wayne. No shame in taking this one out hunting. The barrels have a good muted color, so the ducks and turkeys won't see them a mile away.

wayne goerres 09-06-2014 10:10 PM

I always keep an old gun around for any real ruff hunting. If you step in a hole and the gun goes for a swim or you bang it against a tree you wont feel near as bad. You can still say your hunting with a Parker.