Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   "New" Top Lever: (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9197)

Bruce Bruner 01-10-2013 12:36 PM

"New" Top Lever:

5 Attachment(s)
Hello, I recently traded for an 1885 manufactured "Top Lever" Parker Hammer gun in 12 bore. The gun has mirror bores that I am extremely pleased with. It has a metal butt plate, capped pistol grip, locks up nice and has real strong hammer springs. I have what I believe is a Grade 1, but I am unsure about that. It has modest engraving and lacks the zigzag side panels I have seen on some. The grade designation was not marked on these as you know. Perhaps you more experienced members could share your thoughts with me. I feel the top lever is an under appreciated model based on the information available in the serialization book and the PGCA website. I have been waiting for my "GH" to return from Michigan and this one became available so I decided that I needed it. Please check out my photographs and yes I plan on being a PGCA member as soon as finances settle down a bit. Thank you all, Bruce

Dean Romig 01-10-2013 12:46 PM

Nice one Bruce. Congrats!!

Mark Landskov 01-10-2013 12:59 PM

Very nice, Bruce. Lookit the pattern on those barrels! Yours is the first I have seen marked 'STUB TWIST'. Enjoy!

Dave Suponski 01-10-2013 02:19 PM

Very nice Bruce, I like the late long frame top lever guns. They make great shooters.Congratulations

calvin humburg 01-10-2013 02:55 PM

Yes, and a flower on the rib extention pin cool!

Bruce Bruner 01-10-2013 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just weighed the old girl and she came in right at 8 lbs. The "Parker Gun Identification & Serialization" book has the gun listed as "ST"- Lower Grade Gun with Stub Twist Barrels, 849 total guns. Also "Capped Pistol Grip" and 30" barrels. All of these identifying features are present. I measured the bores at .724 and .729 at the muzzle, not exactly tight, we could say "Quail#1 and Quail#2. I'll pattern the gun with #7's, perhaps this weekend at 35 yards and count holes in a 36" circle. I'll wager to say 25 yards will look better...Ha Ha

David Holes 01-10-2013 05:03 PM

Bruce, It probably has a bore diameter close to .750. That would leave a nice mod or light full.

ed good 01-10-2013 05:48 PM

is nice gon!

Bruce Bruner 01-10-2013 05:58 PM

Holeshot, I noticed when pushing a mop through the bores there is considerable constriction the last 2" or so. I've been cleaning the bores for days using rubbing compound, "Hoppe's", and "Brasso", all by hand. It seems like the "black" will never end, though considerably less now. I must be careful not to ware the bores too thin! To the touch the bores are smoother than a baby's butt. For a finishing touch I rubbed "Watco" Danish Oil on the barrels exterior and left it for a few hours and wiped off any extra. The front sight bead was ivory but unfortunately has been broken off. It has a very small ivory mid bead so I can still line up the target using the mid bead and the remaining front sight base. I'll not attempt to replace the front sight bead myself. I'll probably end up shipping the barrels somewhere for that task. Thank you all for your kind and helpful replies.

Rich Anderson 01-10-2013 06:13 PM

Bruce you did well my congratulations to you. Now the sickness progresses:rotf: