Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   PA deer stand pics (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25915)

Frank Srebro 12-08-2018 09:13 PM

PA deer stand pics

5 Attachment(s)
Today was the last day of our PA two week regular deer season, buck and doe were concurrent since last Saturday, no Sunday hunting. I hunted mainly for a particular big buck nearby my home. I didn’t see him over the six days I spent in the woods and as far as I know no one took that buck, the word would have passed pretty quickly if so. Over those days I passed up two small but legal bucks, and saw one big spiker and probably 35-40 does. I bought an antlerless license too but didn’t use it – trying to make up for past sins. :whistle:

I’m posting some cell phone pics taken from one of my stands where a sidehill trail converges with another one on a flat. Two rifles are shown, one is my Model 70 in 300 Win Mag that was born as a 264 Westerner. Now on her second 300 barrel and third stock, she’s been with me since I was a young pup and we've hunted in some good far away places. The other rifle is the familiar Krag sporter I wrote about on another thread. I also hunted with a 348 Model 71 but the cell was on the counter at home that day.

Old schooling it but effective, just a pile of rocks with a cushion that’s been my seat there for many years. Same setup as when I was a kid. Enjoy the view!

Jay Gardner 12-09-2018 10:55 AM

A lot to be said about sitting on the ground, old school, like having a unrestricted view of the world and the ability to hear every sound. There is a lot one can take in while waiting for a buck to appear.

Garry L Gordon 12-09-2018 08:59 PM

Old School is the way to go. You've inspired me to take my old Savage 99 in 250-3000 (I had someone load me a couple of boxes using the original 87 grain bullet) next year. I just like sitting in the woods with a good rifle some days. Thanks for posting those pictures.

King Brown 12-10-2018 12:08 AM

My oldest and dearest friend, who died last year at 101, only used a Savage 250-3,000 on deer. I called it a "popgun" but so impressed with its accuracy in good hands I bought one and haven't regretted it. I prefer 100gr bullet.

Dean Romig 12-10-2018 07:14 AM

I have spent fifty-six Vermont deer seasons still-hunting and sitting on my Therm-a-Seat 1” foam pad (just like yours Frank, and made right here in MA) sometimes in the same place year after year, but usually where I find a lot of activity. I always carry pruning clippers so I can make the best of a new spot or where there is new growth in an old spot.
I don’t trust myself in a tree stand even with a full body harness. Sitting in the right spot on the ground is just the ticket for me.

I shot a buck at 12 feet from where I sat that never knew I was there.

Stephen Hodges 12-10-2018 04:15 PM

I agree with all on the "sitting on the ground" method instead of in a tree. Was a time when I would not Deer hunt on the ground, HAD to be in a tree stand. Not anymore. Warmer, every bit as effective, IMO, and I am not going to break my back falling off my Lowes five gallon bucket:)

charlie cleveland 12-10-2018 06:24 PM

my stand is like most of you boys a bucket a rock pile a good stump or even a pile of leaves ...i do get in shooting house from time to time...but my folding chair with string as a sling is my main sitting poistion no telling how many turkeys i have shot out of this chair.....i too use differant old guns while hunting all game my deer guns are my 8 ga lifter parker my 10 ga parker a 1894 remington 12 ga a 16x16x7x57r drilling a 270 remington pump a 1903 remington 30-06 a 25-20 remington pump head shots only...a 30-30 marlin a 45 long colt winchester and the list goes on.....charlie

Frank Srebro 12-10-2018 07:38 PM

Anyone interested in old school eastern deer hunting, period rifles, equipment and such would do well to get a copy of Shots at Whitetails by Larry R Koller. Mr. Koller was an extraordinary deer hunter and writer. He started his book in the 1930's, finishing it after the War. It was first published I believe in 1948. Reprints are available on eBay etc. Incidentally Larry was a huge fan of the 250-3000 cartridge in the Model 99 Savage.

Dean Romig 12-10-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Srebro (Post 260056)
Anyone interested in old-school eastern deer hunting, period rifles and such would do well to get a copy of Shots at Whitetails by Larry R Koller. Mr. Koller was an extraordinary deer hunter and writer. He started his book in the 1930's, finishing it after the War. It was first published I believe in 1948. Reprints are available on eBay etc. Incidentally Larry was a huge fan of the 250-3000 cartridge in the Model 99 Savage.

Frank - I just finished reading it and returned it to my hunting and fishing pal of some forty years - And it was a first edition. A great book with some very classic Northeastern deer hunting lore and customs of the day.

Dean Romig 12-10-2018 08:13 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Pics from some of my ground sits.

The little buck with the broken off antler I took in 2007 from the ground 75 yards into the woods from a hot inside corner.

That's a moose in the saplings in the 3rd picture... Gosh! I was hoping that big animal was a buck.