Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Muzzle Loading 10ga. SxS Question: (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35306)

Bruce P Bruner 01-20-2022 04:20 PM

Muzzle Loading 10ga. SxS Question:

7 Attachment(s)
I was strongly considering this 10 gauge 34" barreled side by side until I saw this crack in photo #1 (rear center rib). I requested another photo from the rear angle to access how far the crack traveled but no response. I believe anything can be corrected for certain monetary considerations. I don't know for sure how much stress that location takes and how much structural integrity surrounds the area though it looks to be somewhat robust. Logically something stressful caused the crack. Perhaps an easy fix, I don't know.
I was interested in this one because shooting it I wouldn't be at the mercy of the shotshell manufacturers and I would like to expand my collection with a ML SXS.
I believe this one was manufactured in Detroit, MI. in the 1860's by Casper Benard Berger, a very skilled Prussian immigrant (photo #5). I have not yet determined the family relationship to "JJ Berger" found on the barrels. The population of Detroit at that time was 60-70K. The barrels were imported from Belgium.
Certainly not something you see everyday.
Opinions?

kurt varga 01-20-2022 04:33 PM

Looks to me to be the breech plug joint.

Bruce P Bruner 01-20-2022 04:40 PM

New Photo:

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt varga (Post 353690)
Looks to me to be the breech plug joint.

After receiving this photo I think it was made with the seam, not a structural crack.

charlie cleveland 01-20-2022 07:20 PM

nice old gun....charlie

Breck Gorman 01-20-2022 08:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Those bolster can be tough to remove after 100+ years.

Bruce P Bruner 01-20-2022 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breck Gorman (Post 353704)
Those bolster can be tough to remove after 100+ years.

Thank you for the detailed photographs. Do they ever need to be removed unless the barrels were being redone?

Breck Gorman 01-20-2022 09:06 PM

Cleaning I would suppose.
If I have to raise a dent, the bolsters have to come off. Otherwise if the dent raising mandrel gets stuck (and they do a lot) there is no way to knock it out.

Milton C Starr 01-20-2022 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Belgian 10 ga muzzleloader and the breeches are fitted in a similar manner, every one I have looked at has that line between the breech plugs. I dont shoot it though as it needs the hammers rebuilt and one of the lugs repaired.

charlie cleveland 01-22-2022 10:44 AM

how qr what do you use on those breech plugs to get them out...charlie

Bruce Hering 01-22-2022 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 353838)
how qr what do you use on those breech plugs to get them out...charlie

A breech plug wrench... Yea, really... I have pulled many a breech plug for ML shooters that put a tight dry ball down the tube to the base and could not move it even though there are several ways to do so. However, ya need a really good barrel vise also.