Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Looking for recommendations for proper ammo (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32203)

Tom Davis 01-19-2021 04:47 PM

Looking for recommendations for proper ammo

2 Attachment(s)
I inherited my 20 ga Parker from my uncle. It was manufactured in 1903.
He had it re-blued in the late 50s or early 60s and I don't think it was ever fired again. It looks new. Anyway, I would like to shoot it and after a little research it looks like I should use a low pressure round. I would appreciate any recommendations or specifications I should look for when buying ammunition for it.
Thanks, Tom

Attachment 92210

Attachment 92211

Bruce Day 01-19-2021 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Try these , plus Winchester , Fiocchi , and any other 7/8 oz loads .

Lots of people also shoot 1 oz 20 ga loads .

Interesting bluing on the frame, forend tip, latch , and attachment iron . That is unusual.

Tom Davis 01-19-2021 07:47 PM

Thanks Bruce - Much Appreciated.
Tom

Brian Dudley 01-19-2021 08:35 PM

Not exactly like “new” since Parkers were never all blued like that.
Whoever did the work did not know how vintage doubles are to be finished.

It looks like the gun has been hot blued which may have compromised the integrity of the barrels. You should get it looked at by someone who knows better to bless the gun as sound.

Dave Noreen 01-19-2021 10:23 PM

When your Parker was made in 1903, the "standard" 20-gauge shell here in North America was a 2 1/2 inch case loaded with 2 to 2 1/4 drams of bulk smokeless powder (or the equivalent in dense smokeless powder) pushing 3/4 or 7/8 ounce of shot. Longer 20-gauge shells of 2 3/4", 2 7/8" or 3" with a bit hotter load of 2 1/2 drams pushing the same 7/8 ounce load were available, but their real or perceived advantage was more/better wadding.

Parker Bros. had a policy of holding their chambers 1/8 inch shorter than the intended shell on the theory that in the days of paper shells and fiber wads the mouth of the case upon firing extending a bit into the forcing cone gave a better gas seal and hence better patterns.

All this to say your chambers, if they haven't been lengthened, may be as short as 2 3/8 inches.

Andrew Sacco 01-19-2021 10:55 PM

You’re lucky to have that left to you. Congrats! I’m new here too but learn every day. I would listen to researcher. I don’t know him personally but his advice always seems spot on.

Tom Davis 01-20-2021 09:24 AM

Thank you all, great information! Tom

Tom Jay 01-20-2021 02:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Not looking to hijack this thread, but here is a prime example of a good gun spoiled. AAHE that's been blued with gold accents. Gun is in the hands of 2nd cousin family members that don't hunt or shoot. Been trying to buy it for years but they won't sell. Pleaded that gun needs to be restored and offered $20k. Still won't budge.

Andrew Sacco 01-20-2021 03:05 PM

Tom (Tom Jay not Tom the OP) what are the gold parts? Plated or replacement parts? Trouble visualizing what has been done there.

To Tom the OP while your gun may be not technically correct it's still nice to have been left something from a relative. I have an uncle with Lugers, WWII era original 1911's, a Browning Sweet 16 unfired in original packaging, old Winchesters, among many other cool things including old Ithaca SxS's. He gave up hunting 30+ years ago, he's in his late 80's now. I have begged to just be able to catalog it for him but he's intent on turning everything in to the sheriff as he's been anti gun for a while now (since the gun death of a close friend who was a police officer). So I would be happy to be given anything from a relative, who knows how important that was to him in whatever condition.

Tom Jay 01-20-2021 03:18 PM

Andrew, the AAHE barrels and receiver have been blued and the triggers, forend release, safety and pistol cap are now gold, probably plated. Have not had the gun in my hands for 6-7 years. Gun was sold a few years back at auction by 2nd cousin family but purchaser returned it. Don’t know why. But maybe once in hand he realized the blued/gold refinish made the the gun look like POS. I have a letter on the gun and the specs match up, except for it’s current finish. Would love to have it restored.