Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Restored CHE (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3729)

joe souther 03-02-2011 02:33 PM

Restored CHE

5 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have an idea how I might track down who did the restoration on this CHE ? It is a 30" 12 bore built in 1902 and has Titanic Steel Barrels.

Dean Romig 03-02-2011 03:01 PM

What a SHAZAAM piece of wood!!

Bill Murphy 03-02-2011 04:43 PM

Yup, quite a piece of English Walnut. A blank like that today would cost well into four figures. It would be hard to determine who did the damaging refinish. It seems like the case hardening heat warped the floorplate. Hopefully, other parts fit OK and everything works. Definitely a showy gun with vivid colors and great wood. I have been told that there are people out there who can fix a bad floorplate mortise.

Jay Gardner 03-02-2011 04:54 PM

Yikes! :shock::shock:

joe souther 03-02-2011 06:56 PM

It seems like the case hardening heat warped the floorplate.

Help educate me.......what was there in the photo that shows a warped floorplate ?

E Robert Fabian 03-02-2011 08:07 PM

First photo Joe, you can see the edge of the floor plate, it may be that it's not seated .

Scott Janowski 03-02-2011 10:05 PM

:eek: Possibly Ed1?

charlie cleveland 03-02-2011 10:47 PM

bill i would have never picked up that floor plate you have a very keen eye for details... charlie

Bruce Day 03-03-2011 07:31 AM

8 Attachment(s)
That is quite a piece of wood that was put on that gun, I don't think I've seen that quality of wood on any Parker, and I know that had to be costly. The cyanide case colors really make the gun pop.

Here is a C grade smallbore I have that is from about the same year, but its not near as distinctive as yours. Mine is worn and it has those type of damascus barrels that a Parker writer called wallhangers and said devalued the gun. Anyway, its what I have and I kind of like it, as I am sure you are quite proud of yours. Enjoy the gun and have fun with it. Always interesting to see these refinished guns.

I understand C grade guns are going to be the display gun for the PGCA annual meeting in Louisville, Kentucky. I have a few old C grades to bring but all are in at least somewhat worn condition.

Bruce Day 03-03-2011 07:48 AM

Mr. Souther, to your original question of who worked on your gun.

I am only guessing, but there were a couple shops that did cyanide process case colors, among them the Color Case Company in Ohio and DelGrego Gunsmiths in Ilion, NY. The DelGrego's did the preparation work and then sent the work out to another small shop in Ilion.

As for the stock work, I have no idea. There are a number of stockists, and even the DelGrego's sent that work out to friends in the trade. I do not know if it is DelGrego work, but the gun is sufficiently distinctive such that you could send them photos and I would think they would remember the gun if they did any of the work.

I use the DelGrego's for some mechanical work and greatly respect their abilities.