Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   leather stock protector damage (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27072)

Dean Freeman 04-14-2019 12:20 PM

leather stock protector damage

Does anyone have a comment on how to restore a stock which has had a leather laced protector on it for what looks to be a long time? The stock is in great condition overall save for the very obvious back half which has faded/rubbed the original finish over time.
I would like to attempt a refinish. Will the affected area (and rest of the stock) require a refinish, or can the affected area be "touched up" to correct things?
I'd love to hear any opinions/experience regarding this unfortunate use of such "protective" devices.

Best,

Dean Freeman 04-14-2019 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1555261498

Here's a pic of the stock on this lovely original Lefever.

Dean Romig 04-14-2019 01:57 PM

TimberLuxe will take care of that very nicely. Go to their website and watch the video.

Dean Freeman 04-14-2019 02:11 PM

Dean,

It just so happens that I acquired a jar of Timberluxe and received it in the mail earlier this week. Was it a coincidence that I just happened to acquire this outstanding little Lefever yesterday? Thanks for the heads up.

Best,

Dean Romig 04-14-2019 03:31 PM

Do you also have their walnut stain to get the right color?

Dean Freeman 04-14-2019 08:47 PM

Dean,

I don't have any yet... Once I get a look at the procedure, I'll get any other needed ingredients. Perhaps I'll make it to the southern and meet the source. I spoke with the owner of Timberluxe after my purchase regarding a shipping issue. We had a very pleasant conversation. I'd like very much to show him the gun and get his own perspective.
Hopefully I'll get to meet some of the Parker collectors during the southern. I certainly look forward to it, if time allows.

Kindest regards,

Dean Freeman 04-14-2019 08:50 PM

This begs a question... How does everyone deal with toting guns/etc. around at the southern? I'd like to bring a few but i'm wondering how parking and access to your goodies is handled. I was there recently, and noticed how crowded it may be during such a large event. Thoughts?

Eric Eis 04-15-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Freeman (Post 271617)
This begs a question... How does everyone deal with toting guns/etc. around at the southern? I'd like to bring a few but i'm wondering how parking and access to your goodies is handled. I was there recently, and noticed how crowded it may be during such a large event. Thoughts?

Dean, not sure what you mean by toting guns, a cart is recommended but you can park down by the Parker/Smith tent and leave your guns locked in your car. Also don't forget that a group of us get together at Drakes landing Wed. afternoon and all day Thursday for a fun SxS shoot (no score sheets) just shoot for fun,and they have two great courses and lots of show and tell in the parking lot.

Dean Freeman 04-15-2019 09:04 PM

I was referring to toting several cases of shotguns around all day at the Southern. Any way to get around that would be advisable I’m assuming. I’ve never been to the event so not sure if one can go back-and-forth to the vehicle or if parking is offsite.
As for going to Drakes Landing that sounds wonderful. Does one need to get a reservation?
Is there someone I should contact beforehand?
Beginning to get excited!

Sara LeFever 04-15-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Freeman (Post 271689)
As for going to Drakes Landing that sounds wonderful. Does one need to get a reservation?
Is there someone I should contact beforehand?
Beginning to get excited!

Dean,

No need for reservations. There is a separate thread going about Drakes (and lunch on Thursday).

Sara