Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Engraving & Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Engraving the shield (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23314)

Ed Sasso 01-31-2018 08:37 PM

Engraving the shield

Forget the grade.... forget the condition...
Thoughts on engraving your initials on an old fine double if no one over the last 100 years has already. Does it matter?
Now assume it is a high grade in high condition...

Dean Romig 01-31-2018 08:45 PM

If it's your favorite gun and it's going to always be your gun - why not?

I had it done to Kathy's - brought it to my jeweler and he had it done a day or two later.

Ed Sasso 02-01-2018 07:45 AM

I put this in the wrong forum How can I get it moved....

Ed Sasso 02-01-2018 07:49 AM

And even If I sell them...

Rick Losey 02-01-2018 08:46 AM

you could just sell the gun you are thinking of engraving - and then be in the right place :rotf:

Brian Dudley 02-01-2018 07:32 PM

That is what the inlay is for.

Stephen Hodges 03-09-2018 01:59 PM

I have always been amazed at how few shields are engraved. As Brian said, that is why they are there. I would not think it would hurt the value of a gun one bit. And if it were old engraving say from an original owner, i think it enhances the value a bit.

Todd Poer 03-10-2018 09:34 AM

But what if you did it now on a 100 year old gun, where the badge has been untouched for that long. Interesting idea. For me it would be no sweat if just engraved first letter of last name in same style "P". In my case it would be just a push, now if my man Mark slaps an R on there, well then maybe gun doubles in value, but only if he sells his Orvis snake boots with the gun.

Mark Ray 03-10-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Poer (Post 237847)
But what if you did it now on a 100 year old gun, where the badge has been untouched for that long. Interesting idea. For me it would be no sweat if just engraved first letter of last name in same style "P". In my case it would be just a push, now if my man Mark slaps an R on there, well then maybe gun doubles in value, but only if he sells his Orvis snake boots with the gun.

That my friend is highly unlikely, as Robin, and my nephews know that those boots are to be on my gnarled ‘ol feet when the dirt hits the top of the pine box!!

As an aside, I was given a new pair of Chippawa light weight snake boots for Christmas this year....wore them on one hunt this year, and my pals looked at me like calves looking at a new gate when I showed up in them. Hate ‘em!

Mark Ray 03-11-2018 03:18 PM

But back to the original idea of the thread....I just did a wipe down last night of guns that don't live in cases....Currently, not one of them has an engraved medallion. the only personalized gun I have is the 16 hammer that Mark Larsen did for me.

But, I think either way it would lend character to any gun, and would also help with discovering "provenance"