Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   An Interesting GHE 20 (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1115)

Bruce Day 12-26-2009 10:32 AM

An Interesting GHE 20

xxxx

Rich Anderson 12-26-2009 12:25 PM

A very nice piece of wood for a GH grade gun regardless of guage. Production probably 1926-1927 I'm just guessing here.

How does something stay unused for over 80years, esp a gun???

Dean Romig 12-26-2009 12:31 PM

Maybe very little use but certainly not "unused" as the breech face shows "substantial" use.

But not to be a nit-picker, that gun is in fantastic condition!

Tim Sheldon 12-26-2009 12:45 PM

Bruce, what is the amount of ware inside the triggergaurd and on the tang where your hand holds the gun?
Thanks, Tim

--That is a fine look'en shooting iron

tom leshinsky 12-26-2009 04:51 PM

Very nice Parker but the borders on the butt stock don't look mullered in the pics.

Jack Cronkhite 12-26-2009 09:24 PM

Bruce: Always enjoy your pictures. Someday I would hope to see a gun in such condition. Two questions:
On the 20 gauge - have some screw heads been messed with? Registration a bit out on some. Could that have come out of the factory like that?

On the 12 gauge - Were recoil pads offered by the factory or is this always an after market addition??

Thanks,
Jack

E Robert Fabian 12-26-2009 09:49 PM

Jack, recoil pads where a option on all guns except Trojan, I believe $ 2.00, which is hard to understand when comparing it to the work involved in a skeleton butt.

Not speaking for Bruce's gun but photos can make some of the screws look out, noticed it on some of the photos I've taken.

Dean Romig 12-26-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom leshinsky (Post 9879)
Very nice Parker but the borders on the butt stock don't look mullered in the pics.

Tom, judging by the style of the engraving, the checkering, the lack of "Parker Bros." on the frame . . . oh, and now I've gone back to look some more at the pics and see serial no. 241XXX it is a late Remington gun and the lack of mullering to the borders of checkering was quite normal for the period.

Norm Growden 12-26-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Anderson (Post 9861)
How does something stay unused for over 80years, esp a gun???

Richard:

My great-uncle had a M97 Winchester. He was killed at Anzio in 1943, and it sat in his widow's closet until 1980. She gave it to my Dad, and he never used it. I inherited it in 1991, and haven't used Uncle Jack's gun. Just an example of how such a thing could happen.

Patrick Lien 12-27-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Day (Post 9858)
Represented by first seller to be fully original and substantially unused.

Sold Sept 2008 for $17,000. Sold again in early 2009 for $22,000 to small dealer. When last seen at Spring Tulsa show, it was offered at $26,000.

Always interesting to look at some of these guns.

Bruce,
I think " substantially unused after full restoration" would be more appropriate. You did not offer an opinion on this gun yet represented it as "fun to look at" and then included $$$$$$$$$$$$? Why? Are you trying to sell the gun? Create hype on the gun? Why not just put the pictures on the board and ask the question; Is it real?

I think the gun you posted was created by a talented person or group for the sole purpose of duping the "advanced collector" you so often refer to into the exchange of dollars for opinions of others.
I like the pictures of the gun and especially the engraving, but if you are going to post guns "AS ORIGINAL" either by your own admission or someone else then I think you should also either provide documentation of fact on condition or just post the pics and let people decide what is original or not. Opinions are free and my opinion is that you posted a gun that is a redone FAKE! Thank you

Patrick