Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Member Starting Research - Right Track? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40619)

Scott Castleberry 12-04-2023 08:28 PM

New Member Starting Research - Right Track?

I am working with my uncle, to help research his passed down Parker Hammerless. He is the 3rd generation to posses the gun and hopes we can find some history on the gun. I am in process of filling out the research letter and waiting for my membership to process.

Am I on the right track? Serial 59153. I have been told its a GH Grade per a gun shop letter from 1962. Butt plate appears to have ben replaced at some point. Has very shiny "almost chrome" 30" Damascus barrel and what may be the original leather carrying case.

Looking forward to learning more.

Scott Castleberry 12-04-2023 09:41 PM

Forgot to add photos

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos

Russell E. Cleary 12-05-2023 06:33 AM

Scott:

You are definitely "on the right track", i.e., membership and research letter applied for, and asking the right people.

The "Serialization Book" confirms grade 2, or is a GH; hammerless gun; no extras; capped pistol grip; 12-gauge; 30-inch barrels.

Do your barrels measure 30 inches?

Does anyone in your family know anything about what is apparently a business that etched its initials on the water table?

I recommend caution regarding the "almost chrome" bores. Aggressive honing could be responsible for that and give a false sense of security. A qualified person, with the right equipment to do it properly, should measure the minimum barrel wall thickness to assure that the gun is safe to shoot.

More photos, including muzzles; barrel flats, trigger plate, will likely elicit responses from knowledgeable people on here, both about the gun as it exists now, and possibly historical background info.

Welcome to the PGCA.

Scott Castleberry 12-05-2023 08:12 AM

Yes they are 30" barrels. When I referred to the "almost chrome" I meant the exterior. If it were modern I'd say its stainless as it appears to not hand print or rust. Did they have stainless back then? The gun also has a short length of pull which I need to measure as well.

We do not know about the engraving and its also on underside of the barrels. I will get some much better phots and load them shortly.

Thanks for the positive feedback. As soon as my membership clears I will complete the letter request.

Dean Romig 12-05-2023 10:06 AM

I don't know what could have been done to those barrels to mar them so badly.

Yes, by the serial number and the engraving pattern that is certainly one of the very earliest Grade-2 hammerless Parkers. The number 59153 makes it an 1890 gun, certainly not the first but definitely before the engraving patterns changed.
the forst D2 seems to have been an 8 gauge with 38" Damascus barrels... what a beast that must have been on long range waterfowl.

Paul Brannon 12-05-2023 02:44 PM

Surface looks coarsly scratched and almost looks plated. Nickel maybe? That could explain no fingerprinting or surface rust.

BrandyWilliams 12-05-2023 03:41 PM

Hello,
I have a Parker, serial number 198606 and am wondering how to find the gauge. We think it is a 20 gauge. Does it state the gauge anywhere? Thank you in advance!

Russell E. Cleary 12-05-2023 04:27 PM

Brandy:

The "Serialization Book", which is usually but not always accurate, says that your gun is a 16-gauge.

And, it is further identified as a V-grade; hammerless; no extras; capped grip on the stock, and has barrels measuring 28 inches.

And to avert confusion, since we have already been identifying another gun on this thread, this is about serial number 198606.

BrandyWilliams 12-05-2023 04:53 PM

Thank you so much, I appreciate the information!

Steve Huffman 12-05-2023 05:52 PM

The stocks look like replacements or modified, is that a weep hole drilled in the bottom of the rib?