Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Remington Whitmore (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26025)

Jay Oliver 12-21-2018 06:41 PM

Remington Whitmore

12 Attachment(s)
I had to bring this home today. I knew just enough about these to be dangerous. It is a Remington Whitmore 10 Gauge with 30” twist barrels with 2 ¾” chambers. I believe it is the 1873 model, since the hammers go to halfcock when the action is open(non-rebounding locks). I also think it is a Grade 2 given the twist barrels. They sure used a nice piece of wood for the stock. Based on the serial# I am guessing this was made in 1874 or 1875.

Overall, it seems to be in good condition. The action is tight and I like this different type of lifter action. The barrels have some pitting, but they are shootable. LOP is 14”, which is good for me. I am going to load up some black powder shells tonight and try it on some sporting clays tomorrow.

edgarspencer 12-21-2018 07:19 PM

Jay, the Whittemore is a masterpiece in machining and design. I had (past tense, regrettably) a very high grade 12.
Wait till you measure the chokes. You'll be shocked to see they are double tapered and about 12" long.

Jay Oliver 12-21-2018 07:40 PM

Thanks Edgar that made my day...especially since this wasn't a planned purchase and I still have some Christmas shopping to do. I was also excited, because I believed this was the first model of Remington's "lifter" action. I agree it is impressive mechanically. I am looking forward to shooting it.

Jerry Harlow 12-21-2018 09:45 PM

So why would the forearm wood be stamped 10____? What is that? Not gauge since it is only four letters?

edgarspencer 12-21-2018 09:52 PM

Jay, did you find that at Kane’s?

Jay Oliver 12-21-2018 10:05 PM

Edgar, I did find it locally, but not at Kanes. Their inventory has been lacking lately(unfortunately). Though I still check out what they have every 6 months or so. It's only 10 minutes from my house.

Jerry, I assumed that was an abbreviation for Gauge, but I don't really know. It looks like 10 GOGE

Frank Cronin 12-21-2018 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 260987)
Jay, the Whittemore is a masterpiece in machining and design. I had (past tense, regrettably) a very high grade 12.
Wait till you measure the chokes. You'll be shocked to see they are double tapered and about 12" long.

After reading this I went and checked mine and yep... just like Edgar described. A slight taper begins 12" from the muzzle then parallels for a few inches and then a nice long gradual taper to a full choke at the muzzle. Never patterned it but now it's got me interested in doing so.

Jay, I was planning on bringing my 1873 to the New Year's shoot. It's a 12 gauge grade 4 with Laminated steel barrels.

Brian Dudley 12-22-2018 07:27 AM

A great example!

Jay Oliver 12-22-2018 08:30 AM

Frank I will bring this to the New Year's shoot as well. I don't have a way to measure the chokes/bore diameter. It will be nice to see another one, especially a higher grade. I am looking forward to it!

Daniel Carter 12-22-2018 08:42 AM

Do not know where the 1894 fits in this but it has some things in the frame similar to yours. I was planning on shooting it 1/1 also, will bring it along.